Help Chasing Erratic Idle Please >

Help Chasing Erratic Idle Please

Notices

Help Chasing Erratic Idle Please

Old 01-30-2020, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
You can check for internal vac leak by plugging all the holes in the valve covers except 1 where you press down with with the palm of your hand to seal the last hole with eng idling (cold eng is waay more comfortable). If you can feel that suction is building on your palm, you have a internal vac leak like suggested above.

On a side note: I once "upgraded" all the intake manifold bolts on a SBC car eng. Didn't realize the new ones were slightly longer. They would tighten down just enough to start compressing the gaskets then bottom out. Replaced the gaskets twice before I figured out what was going on. It had a internal vac leak.

Anyway, its a quick and easy thing to check for.

What's was the deal with the stripped intake plenum bolts mentioned on post #90? Could that be a potential vac leak??
Thanks for the insight. I repaired the stripped plenum bolt and replaced the gaskets to no avail, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Trash
It could be a hairline crack some where in the intake manifold 'hat' or the surrounding gasket. As the motor warms up the expansion can cause a larger air leak. Just a thought.
Gotcha thanks.

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Rent one of those smoke machines and do the smoke test.

Chris
Who rents them?
Old 01-30-2020, 06:45 AM
Registered

UPDATE

I had the boat on the water last weekend in cooler than normal weather. It seems as a result I only had one stall issue after a rev and it did not die on the hose when flushing at the ramp. Would ambient temp. affect a vacuum leak?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2020, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
UPDATE

I had the boat on the water last weekend in cooler than normal weather. It seems as a result I only had one stall issue after a rev and it did not die on the hose when flushing at the ramp. Would ambient temp. affect a vacuum leak?

Thanks
Not seeing a difference with air temp, but the MAP could effect the fuel supply
Old 02-01-2020, 08:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Not seeing a difference with air temp, but the MAP could effect the fuel supply
Yes sir, I've swapped maps side to side (twins) without a change in character to either engine, even tested the pinouts and harness.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
With my pea brain it has to be vacuum leak because

If vac line is removed, fuel pressure increases
IAC is trying to idle but is not rich enough but is when cold
IF it was a vacuum leak, the IAC counts would head down to zero when its not at its target, IMO
Old 05-16-2020, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So aside from a weird ghostmechanical problem (I doubt) , the only thing you HAVEN'T tried is swapping the harnesses side to side? IF you hadn't bought mefi scan and saw 64 degees C for ECT Id suspect the ect or wires but no way it would read what it does, that's my only suggestion reading thru this as you asked, Smitty
Old 05-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
So aside from a weird ghostmechanical problem (I doubt) , the only thing you HAVEN'T tried is swapping the harnesses side to side? IF you hadn't bought mefi scan and saw 64 degees C for ECT Id suspect the ect or wires but no way it would read what it does, that's my only suggestion reading thru this as you asked, Smitty
Thank you for your time!

I haven't swapped harnesses but it's worth a try or maybe I can try one of those self contained testers that takes the place of the harness. The name escapes me at the moment.

Keith
Old 05-17-2020, 12:29 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I forgot if this was mentioned --- have you swapped ECM s

Next is my question the master ecm is starboard engine and slave is port - on your scan do you see the reporting for that ? and are your engines interlinked ?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Thank you for your time!

I haven't swapped harnesses but it's worth a try or maybe I can try one of those self contained testers that takes the place of the harness. The name escapes me at the moment.

Keith
Since you've swapped ECM's and changed/swapped every sensor with same results, like I said , Id swap harnesses , its not as hard as you would think, Smitty
Old 01-13-2022, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any updates

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.