Help, Bravo has too much side to side play

Notices

Help, Bravo has too much side to side play

Old 10-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Rambunctious
Harrison....

can you do this without the "fix" kit drilling the clearance holes to acess the ubolt and nuts, or did you drill the holes in the drive housing.

ie. can you get at it with an installed engine from the engine bay?

I have twin 1988 bravos with some slop, but if merc calls for maintenance every year. i better figure out how. also, i don't yet have a tie bar.....
Yes they are on the out side of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails Help,  Bravo has too much side to side play-bravo-bolts.jpg  
Old 10-17-2002, 12:05 PM
Waveline24

Thanks for that awesome picture.

So how tight have you set yours to? I see that you doubled up on the nuts for the LOCK effect being that ther is no nylon in them. Cool.

I need to pull one of the factory ones off and go match it up at the hardware store.

I always thought they were stainless stock since they were silver.

Old 10-17-2002, 12:27 PM
Registered

Ya I did to but when I pulled them of and took them to the wire wheel ( MY boat has seen some salt its hole life) I found they were brass. Thouse are just cheep nuts from the hardware store I had to go to a Specilty store (Tacoma Screw) to get some good ones and just havent got around to putting them on (thats the reson for double nut). When I did it I had not seen the Merc Service bulitin so I was just flyn by the seat of my pants (cause I new something was loose). I just made them almost has tight as I could get them with a 1/2 drive ratchet. You can see it squizen the aluminum tight on the steal shaft. Hope this back yard fix helps you. Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Help,  Bravo has too much side to side play-bravo-nut.jpg  

Last edited by ragtop409; 10-17-2002 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Waveline24

Any Ideas on what the bolt portion is made of? Being that it is really cold up here now, I wonder if that will affect the brittleness of the bolts while tightening. I'm pretty confident that with a little care, I can cinch it up pretty good.

How much play did you have before you did this?

Old 10-17-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Waveline24
Any Ideas on what the bolt portion is made of? I'm pretty confident that with a little care, I can cinch it up pretty good.

How much play did you have before you did this?
My guess is Stainless and that is why the nuts were brass just like an exhast manifold to Y pipe on a car. (you now the hole like metals thing) A lot! That is a great picture of the Space Needle
Old 10-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Waveline24

I never had noticed you were local. Cool. So where do you usually go and how often? The closest water to me is Lake Tapps but the lake is so small you cant really open it up for long. And TOO MANY jetskis ("circus seals" as we call them).

L-dub AKA Lake Washington is a nice place to stretch the legs a little. But if you don't mind the salt, the sound is the biggest playground but it's kinda sketchy having to watch for things floating all the time.

Anyways. Just my .02 cents

Old 10-17-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

I live just up on top of Lake Forest Park hill so I am usualy in Lake Washington I have a couple of freinds that live on the lake. Do strech it out a couple of times a year in the sound. The last time I was out I swerved to avoid a dead head at WOT and when I went buy it at about 15' I relized it was not drift wood it was a SEA LION
Old 10-17-2002, 03:04 PM
Waveline24

WOAH. That was close. I have had my fair share of WOT near misses. Its always fun watching for rollers from the ferry. They always seem to sneak up on you.

Old 10-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Waveline24

Thumbs up

He, I got it to tighten up nice. I went to 40lb and it was still pretty loose. Took it 5lbs at a time up to 60lb and it was TIGHT.

I went and got new Ubolt nuts from Merc and they are stainless.
I went to Tacoma Screw and they were closed then West Marine and they were closed too.

Bottom line. It is tight and ready to go.

Cya and thanks a bunch for all the info and tips.

Will