Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2 standard rotation motors-props in 29 foot shaft boat. >

2 standard rotation motors-props in 29 foot shaft boat.

Notices

2 standard rotation motors-props in 29 foot shaft boat.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2 standard rotation motors-props in 29 foot shaft boat.

Any thoughts? This is Caldera's aquasport. He is getting the runaround getting a reverse rotation engine. How much will it effect handling with two props turning the same way? Sportfish. 35 tops usual cruise 22 to 25. I am also uncomfortable with the fact that every single opposite rotation motor I had seen as the standard rotation crankshaft with the oils holes drilled on the wrong side of the rod Journal. And the one person I spoke to that it will build him an opposite rotation motor, does not cross drill the crank. Best bet, even if he changes cam and rear seal ithink, is brand new from Chevy dealer for 1690 bucks free shipping. No warranty cuz it is going in a boat, but that is only 90 days shorter than most warrantys. And most warranties are guaranteed to give you a BS answer about why they're not covering the warranty anyway after you ship the motor back to them and wait.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 10-17-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

by 1990 reverse rotation engines were not being used and as far as i know their was no difference on the crankshaft for the reverse rotation engines.as far as the spit holes in the rods that ended a long time ago as it was found not needed.i don,t know what effect turning the props in the same direction would have on his boat but i do know that it was common practice on some boats in the early 90,s.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Registered

I have an old reverse 454 crank. same oil drillings as standard crank. drillings of his reverse crank show regular small block crank. I guess the oil stays on the journal well enough. Y'know, unless you have fully grooved mains, there is no pressurized oil filling the spurt hole except when the crank throw is down anyway...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 10-18-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:50 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Standard and Reverse Rotation Marine Engines - Engine Builder Magazine
Old 10-18-2017, 06:25 AM
Registered

Thanks BUP. These details we kind of have covered. If we're going to change rotation of a standard two opposite we got that figured out. When I'm really looking for is a pinions on how much it will change the handling characteristics of the boat if he's got two props turning the same direction on shafts underneath the boat. By the way your Laveycraft rebuilding. Is it a LGBT boat? Because she's going to be a bad boy. Or are boats allowed to be somewhat gender confused since they really don't have the plumbing either way.