How do these cut outs look >

How do these cut outs look

Notices

How do these cut outs look

Old 10-29-2017, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 811 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
is the leak seen?is it coming from Hi or low?only other intrusion spot would be the trim ram manifold gaskets.
see image. Water trail was on left side of cut out. Water would accumulate where circle is drawn.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 905 Likes on 455 Posts

I'd be inclined to replace the neoprene gasket and use 4200 around the out part of the gimble.that should seal it good.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

If the transom assy’s are on the boat, bolt on the drives, plug the sea pump inlet hose and head to the nearest boat ramp and back it in and take a look
Old 10-29-2017, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
If the transom assy’s are on the boat, bolt on the drives, plug the sea pump inlet hose and head to the nearest boat ramp and back it in and take a look
thats likely what I will end up doing...but I have to pull the engine again to gain access. Will report back in the spring as I have no time to do it now. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:32 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you straight edge the exterior transom mounting area top, both sides and bottom to see if there is gaps - Merc spec is max 1/16 inch of a gap allowed. And the Inner mounting transom area is 1/8 inch allowed for any gaps using the straight edge method

Last edited by BUP; 10-29-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Did you straight edge the exterior transom mounting area top, both sides and bottom to see if there is gaps - Merc spec is max 1/16 inch of a gap allowed. And the Inner mounting transom area is 1/8 inch allowed for any gaps using the straight edge method
that is my next task but honestly the assembly at least from the outside sits pretty damn flush. I’ll post pics later. I see no evidence of gaps, etc. looks identical to the other assembly that isn’t leaking.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm chasing one too so subscribing to see what you wind up finding. Mine's on the lower RHS of the ring about 2" up from the bottom (when looking aft at the transom wall from the inside of the engine room), bravo 1. Can see it trickling in when dunking on the ramp, then filled the bilge and saw it weeping out. Sealed the ring on the outside with 4200 and still have the issue. Mechanic who was with me says bellows all look good. I'll let you know if I find anything as well, we're in this together.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 175 Posts

I was chasing a leak all summer. Mine ended up being the top steering pivot. (Mine is an Alpha one though).
Old 10-31-2017, 06:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tractionless
I'm chasing one too so subscribing to see what you wind up finding. Mine's on the lower RHS of the ring about 2" up from the bottom (when looking aft at the transom wall from the inside of the engine room), bravo 1. Can see it trickling in when dunking on the ramp, then filled the bilge and saw it weeping out. Sealed the ring on the outside with 4200 and still have the issue. Mechanic who was with me says bellows all look good. I'll let you know if I find anything as well, we're in this together.
Hahaha. Good to know I’m not alone. My guess is 75% of boaters don’t look or don’t care. Wish i was one of them.

If you filled the boat up and its weeping out the main seal. I’d say you have the following:

1. Rotten transom that’s caused the main seal to lose squeeze
2. Bad seal (i.e. shrunken, dried out, etc)
3. Corrosion on main plate that’s allowing water in around the seal

i would think adding 4200 would seal it temporarily but think getting to the root cause is paramount. If it were me. I’d pull it apart and see what i have.

Sadly in my case...transom is solid as can be as shown in pics. Zero corrosion on transom assemblies. They are mint. And the main seal is brand new 2 months old. Not sure what i have going on.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
I was chasing a leak all summer. Mine ended up being the top steering pivot. (Mine is an Alpha one though).
its def not top steering pin. Top steering pin leak is the easiest to diagnose in my opinion. Any traces of water on the top ledge of the assembly around the steering arm and 9/10 it’s the steering pin seal. Mine is dry as a bone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.