And another winterizing question about fuel

Notices

And another winterizing question about fuel

Old 10-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default And another winterizing question about fuel

Ive read the debates about full or empty fuel tanks for the winter. On my trailerable Sea Ray usually in the past I have added twice as much green Stabil and filled the tanks from the local gas station. But now in the spring I have 100 gallons of questionable octane fuel. The other option I have done is drain the tanks into a large 300 gallon tote and use that fuel in the cars. Currently I have 50 gallons ( the main tank is 70 gallons) of non ethanol fuel in the main tank. option 1 - Treat the 50 gallons with Stabil and leave it as is for the winter? option 2 - drain the fuel out into the tote and have empty tanks (more work to disconnect the fuel system) option 3- add a ton of stabil and fill the main tank. Another thought is about phase separation. Will a fuel water separator filter out phase separated fuel?
Old 10-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I think if you use the green Stabil you are good to go. they say on the bottle it's good for up to a year. Man that sounds like a lot of work moving all that gas around!
Old 10-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 4,864 Likes on 1,376 Posts

This seems to be the $hit when it comes to winter additive, you have non ethanol in there so your worry is even less, I would (and do) leave whatever is left over and just don't go nuts in the spring with boost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tons of great reviews.

comparison :

https://ttrno.com/blogs/news/4761782...-success-story

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 10-28-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
This seems to be the $hit when it comes to winter additive, you have non ethanol in there so your worry is even less, I would (and do) leave whatever is left over and just don't go nuts in the spring with boost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J2DU6XM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tons of great reviews.

comparison :

https://ttrno.com/blogs/news/4761782...-success-story
IMO that is not a good comparison. They should have used stabil marine additive designed for ethanol, not the non ethanol version.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:56 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Alot of the marine fuel additives / stabilizers have alcohol as a component. Some even have ethanol as a component in them. Stabil and Startron do not but Here is what I like - its made by CRC.

All fuel stabilizers say good up to year only. IMO 9 months is MAX. The dark blue marine stabil use to say good for 2 years. Boy did they change that statement on their bottle. They found out that 2 years was not even close.

Also keep in mind if you opened a bottle of fuel stabilizer last year or even 6 months ago and have some left over - it has ran its course for being not as effective, IMO one should use it at every fill up 365 days

It is best to throw a 80 to 100 to 1 - of 2 stroke motor oil in your gas tank with gas that sits for months on end of storage.

Last edited by BUP; 10-28-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:31 AM
BUP
Banned

and the K 100 has alcohol in it as well. Like I said alot of these marine stabilizers have it as one form or another. Also Ether - 80 percent of this brand is a form of Alcohol. Most fuel adds are snake oils anyways. Ethylene Glycol is a form alcohol.

read the MSDS

http://k-100.com/wp-content/uploads/...DS_ENGLISH.pdf

Last edited by BUP; 10-29-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:39 AM
BUP
Banned

And their Diesel fuel additive K 100 ----- man can they put anymore Alcohol in the mix.

Prob 50c cents to make per bottle and what is the price of this per can ? Snake oil profit

http://k-100.com/wp-content/uploads/...DS_ENGLISH.pdf

Last edited by BUP; 10-29-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:11 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

Mercury is actually very specific with their recommendations.

Here is an excerpt from a page I wrote using the Mercury guidelines regarding winterization. I tried to make it as generic as possible as our users cover a wide spectrum and it is very basic.

ps - I suspect most of the fuel stabilizers on the market have similar ingredients.
  1. If gasoline without ethanol is available fill the fuel tank(s) and add a sufficient amount of Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer to treat the gasoline. Follow the instructions on the container. (See our list of recommended genuine Mercury Marine products)
  2. If fuel without ethanol is unavailable then the fuel tanks should be drained as low as possible and Quicksilver Quickstor Fuel Stabilizer for Marine Engines should be added to any fuel remaining in the tank.
There are also different procedures for EFI and carburated.

Here is a link to the page

Genuine Mercury & Mercruiser parts. Winterizing Your Engine & Sterndrive
Old 10-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 374 Posts

Use E0 fuel and no stabilizer for many years without issues ever. One carb motor one MPI, don't pay any attention to level in tank. Last year it was 1/4, this year its 1/2. Change filters ever other year, dump contents to check and nothing change. See some small particles in now and then in 23 year old tank, see nothing in 3 year old tank
Old 10-29-2017, 02:11 PM
muc
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
Another thought is about phase separation. Will a fuel water separator filter out phase separated fuel?
No, filtration or additives will make it gas again.

I look at at fuel additives just like the fogging or use of antifreeze when we layup our boats. So much of this needs to be determined by our geographic location, climate, storage (heated, unheated, inside, outside, shrink wrapped, tarped ect.) and the quality of our fuel. The manufacturers need to make blanket statements, they don't know if that engine is going to MN or TX. They don't know if the boat it ends up in has a 10 gallon tank or a 200 gallon tank. They don't even know if you will use once a year or every day. So they recommend stuff that will work pretty good for almost everybody. Are there better ways for the area you boat in? Maybe, but anytime you go against the manufacturers recommendations you really should be knowledgeable and willing to put a lot time into it. Because trust me, they are and they did. They just don't know what's going to happen to it after the sale.