IMCO Gatlin Mufflers >

IMCO Gatlin Mufflers

Notices

IMCO Gatlin Mufflers

Old 10-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default IMCO Gatlin Mufflers

Anyone here run the IMCO gatlin Mufflers? There are a handful of threads on them, but none that really answer my questions. I'm planning on running these with with Stainless Gen III 5" tails. What I like with these is they can be run wet or dry. My question is, has anyone ran these dry? When I have the tails made, I'd go dry so long as I don't make everyone on the lake mad. I'd also like to be able to use the boat in the evening, so not being the obnoxious boater is important. Any input is appreciated.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Sounds like after a little research guys really like them. Hard to beleieve no power loss but evidently not according to thread from years ago anyway.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:07 PM
Registered

There nice looking with simple technology. Pricey but what isn't... Get what you pay for. I can't imagine any issues running dry considering the engines I've read that were in front of them. They use same basic design for off road use. Get some 1 1/4" SS baffle.

Now I see why you posted in regards to running dry. After some more reading some say yes many have said you need to find a way to cool them. I don't buy that personally. Check with Don Johnson. He ran with 1200 Teague engines so I would imagine they were run dry. Clamp on style I can't possibly see why not. You should pm DJ if no one post with first hand experience.

Last edited by getrdunn; 10-29-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Registered

I've read just about every post on here about them. I agree that they can be run dry, the one thing I have read over and over again, is that they (any muffler) will look terrible if run dry. What I think I will do is have Stainless Marine install a small water dump in the tail to cool them, but have the majority of the water dumped overboard. Either way, I ordered them today, so we will soon find out.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What if you set the overboard dumps to dump on top of the mufflers? At low speed should run over them and drop, not spray back by the exhaust stream.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
What if you set the overboard dumps to dump on top of the mufflers? At low speed should run over them and drop, not spray back by the exhaust stream.
Thats a good idea, but I'm not sure I have room about the pipes to run the dump. I'm also going to be adding a swim platform, so even if I have the room now, I may not after the platform is added. It is worth investigating though. Thanks for the idea!
Old 10-29-2017, 08:38 PM
Registered

I would think your only problem is going to be discoloration.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I would think your only problem is going to be discoloration.
You are correct. But when spending that kind of money on mufflers I want them to stay looking nice. I doubt I'll lose any power with a small amount of water flowing through them.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:57 PM
Registered

ck with imco. I see spotted up SS and gettting good polishing. Lol... either way good choice. Nothing like having an obnoxious boat.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I can't see those (Gatlins) doing too much wet or dry. I've run essentially the same thing, in the Borla mufflers for years and they have the advantage of being in a much larger case. They sound good, but I wouldn't say they are quiet. Personally, I find the price of the "Gatlins" staggering for what they are. After hearing my GGB's for the first time Saturday, I think I want to try the auger style next. I will say this for the GGB's though, they were stunningly quiet at 3k on the hose. For me, it's hard to judge what something sounds like on the hose though. The GGB's had kind of a poppy sound at certain RPM's. On the plus side, the GGB's are reasonably priced and seem to be very quiet in the cruising RPM range. It seems I've read positive things on the Gibsons, but I don't know how those sound or work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.