Comp cams Short travel lifters BBC

Notices

Comp cams Short travel lifters BBC

Old 12-12-2017, 08:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Comp cams Short travel lifters BBC

Looking for opinions based on experience with the product. Thanks. COMP Cams Short Travel Hydraulic Roller Lifters 15854-16
N/A 572s; I talked to Gabe a tech at Comp and described the type of running I do; cruise between 3500-4500 and occasional run up to 5k
and he said most of the traits their solid lifters have the short travels will display as well, ie noise (not a big deal), not ideal for idling for extended periods of time, more frequent adjustment intervals, and showing the most benefits above 5500-6K rpm. His opinion was to run a std travel hyd roller which I'm inclined to agree with.

Last edited by Rhythm and Blues; 12-12-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

I run short travel Johnson’s, zero issues, no noise, no adjustments, the reason for running them is deflection in Oliver above 600 lift and higher rpm stability to not bleed down, another plus is if one fails it basically becomes a solid and will have little lash, won’t cause other issues or enough slip to destroy things. I would run them only in a HR application as recommended by every single cam company I talked to when doing cams also, or go solid ...the only reason I didn’t go solid was checking lash would require taking exhaust off, new boat will probably get solids since I can pull valve covers with Stellings on
Old 12-12-2017, 04:12 PM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 739 Posts

I used those lifters in my 454... I had a pair that went bad about ten hours into running (wouldn't hold oil pressure). I replaced the pair, and never had issues after.

I was running Comp 953 springs with my 525 EFI cam... the lifters would bleed down overnight, and make starting a bit hard. Once warmed up, there would be no issues until the next day... never really bothered me much, though occasionally, this would cause a mild pop through the blower. This could have been attributed to the oil I was running (Mobil V-Twin 20W50). I don't recall that this was an issue when running Rotella 40 WT (during break-in).
Old 12-12-2017, 04:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Full Force
I run short travel Johnson’s, zero issues, no noise, no adjustments, the reason for running them is deflection in Oliver above 600 lift and higher rpm stability to not bleed down, another plus is if one fails it basically becomes a solid and will have little lash, won’t cause other issues or enough slip to destroy things. I would run them only in a HR application as recommended by every single cam company I talked to when doing cams also, or go solid ...the only reason I didn’t go solid was checking lash would require taking exhaust off, new boat will probably get solids since I can pull valve covers with Stellings on
Thanks Tim, What kind of spring pressure are you running? Did you decide to run short travels because you run the motors up near the top frequently? I have heard of their traits of they bleed down and behaving like a solid lifter, that a positive. "deflection in Oliver"? I could go soild I'm actually more comfortable doing valve adjustments with solids than hydraulics. But, I'm running these motors pretty light 3500-4500 and looking to get some hours out of them. Solids are going to be harder on the cam etc etc. Kinda why I wanted to stay hydraulic. The boat wont see much above 5k-5500 and only for very short stints. I just talked to Nolan at Isky, they have the HPX like that sounds like a winner, Johnson bodies with isky internals. I liked what he was saying; great salesman, lol...
EDIT; Tim, you have 110ish hours on those now? Zero adjustments? I'm assuming you've checked tho.

Last edited by Rhythm and Blues; 12-12-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TomZ
I used those lifters in my 454... I had a pair that went bad about ten hours into running (wouldn't hold oil pressure). I replaced the pair, and never had issues after.

I was running Comp 953 springs with my 525 EFI cam... the lifters would bleed down overnight, and make starting a bit hard. Once warmed up, there would be no issues until the next day... never really bothered me much, though occasionally, this would cause a mild pop through the blower. This could have been attributed to the oil I was running (Mobil V-Twin 20W50). I don't recall that this was an issue when running Rotella 40 WT (during break-in).
Thanks Tom, you were using the Comp short travels or the Johnsons?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rhythm and Blues
Thanks Tim, What kind of spring pressure are you running? Did you decide to run short travels because you run the motors up near the top frequently? I have heard of their traits of they bleed down and behaving like a solid lifter, that a positive. "deflection in Oliver"? I could go soild I'm actually more comfortable doing valve adjustments with solids than hydraulics. But, I'm running these motors pretty light 3500-4500 and looking to get some hours out of them. Solids are going to be harder on the cam etc etc. Kinda why I wanted to stay hydraulic. The boat wont see much above 5k-5500 and only for very short stints. I just talked to Nolan at Isky, they have the HPX like that sounds like a winner, Johnson bodies with isky internals. I liked what he was saying; great salesman, lol...
EDIT; Tim, you have 110ish hours on those now? Zero adjustments? I'm assuming you've checked tho.
I think my spring pressures are 175 on the seat 550 open if I recall or something close to that I’ve never had to check anything as nothing has given me any problems Randy at Johnson lift or is a friend of mine he said just put them in and run them they will be fine I’ve had zero problems
Old 12-12-2017, 06:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Full Force
I think my spring pressures are 175 on the seat 550 open if I recall or something close to that I’ve never had to check anything as nothing has given me any problems Randy at Johnson lift or is a friend of mine he said just put them in and run them they will be fine I’ve had zero problems
Ok, no problems BUT you cant say for sure that the lash is right on after 110? I mean I do valves at 2000 hrs on the tug MTUs and you'd never know if anything is wrong but some do require an adjustment from tightening up. Know what I mean.

I will for sure give Randy a shout! Totally appreciate that lead Tim!

Last edited by Rhythm and Blues; 12-12-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:55 PM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 739 Posts

I was using the Comp lifters.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ok, no problems BUT you cant say for sure that the lash is right on after 110? I mean I do valves at 2000 hrs on the tug MTUs and you'd never know if anything is wrong but some do require an adjustment from tightening up. Know what I mean.

I have no issues or noise, have no reason to check lash they are still hydraulic, Randy never said I had to, I will ask though to be sure.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if the lash tighten,s up the valve seat is moving,it is not a lifter problem and adjusting the lash won,t fix the root cause of the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.