TRS questions???

Notices

TRS questions???

Old 10-20-2002, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default TRS questions???

I`ve got the TRS blues

blew up a rt hand lower putting it on the trailer after a trouble free season. I got a line on a couple old Speedmaster 2`s

I know the speedy lowers will bolt on to the TRS uppers but everyone says you can`t just bolt a non matching lower onto an upper without reshimming everything and expect it to last more than a few hrs.

Is this true? and why wont it work? I`ve mixed and matched plenty of Bravo`s and Alpha`s with out a single problem

looking forward your input,

Kurt.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:36 PM
DOCTOR DAVE

yes, you must measure, and shim accordingly. the lower bearing in the upper housings' drive shaft needs to be shimmed to achive the bearing preload. it needs .002 more shim than the the acual measurement.

Old 10-20-2002, 07:37 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kurt the lowers DEFINATLY need to be shimmed to the upper. The bearing needs to be loaded to last. That is why I had Kieser to my lowers. From what I hear it is not a easy thing to do. If you can look at the two seperated you will see the difference.

Jon

Last edited by Audiofn; 10-20-2002 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Doctor Dave does a pretty good job with TRS drives. I was just at his shop last week and he had 4 TRS drives off of a 50' Cary that he's doing a total rebuild on.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:38 AM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

And I'll back up Kamma's statement about Dave. I put new 540's in my Cigarette and blew my R/H after 10 hours. Had it rebuilt local and broke the lower case, vertical shaft and wiped out the new lower gears, again after 12 hours. Both times in flat water running about 4,000 rpm. Kamma told me about Dave. He rebuilt the drive on July 3rd and it's been fine so far with about 50 hours on it, 3 poker runs, LOTO, Lake Cumberland, and a few trips to Lake Michigan. And believe me I have not been babying it. They will take the big CI if they are set up right. Good luck. Doug
Old 10-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, dont bother with the IIs. Your X dimension will be too low, and you'll spend a lot on props just to find out your boat runs slower.
Gary