Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How many of you rebuilt your own bravo??? >

How many of you rebuilt your own bravo???

Notices

How many of you rebuilt your own bravo???

Old 10-23-2002, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Zoomba,

So excluding the tools you had to buy in order to do the job correctly it cost you $500 in parts---correct? Provided you did this with all your own labor of course. Thanks

BTW, who is "E-Basic Power" and how do you get parts from them?

Last edited by KAAMA; 10-23-2002 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the tools are different...in fact be VERY careful there is a difference between bravo drives!....you have to look at the SN....order the correct parts
Old 10-23-2002, 04:33 PM
zoomba

I used http://www.ebasicpower.com/ for the aftermarket parts I needed..but I got many of the standard bearings from a local bearing house which I have a relationship.(Discount).

Ebasic has a nice website where you can click on all the parts you need in an assembly drawing, and the number and the part come up.

NAPA automotive publishes a 400 page Marine catalog . If you ask nicely they will give you one, with lots of cool drawings and aftermarket and OEM crossover numbers.

My local NAPA keeps a lot of Marine parts in stock as it is Maines' warehouse,and are very handy for that oil seal you wreck at 7:30 on Friday Nite....though E basic sells them cheaper via mail order. They sell mostly GLM, NAPA is mostly Sierra. WWW.mercstuff.com sells some tools that GLM doesn't make. The owner is nice and helpful as well.

There are basically two aftermarket Mercruiser outfits, Sierra, and GLM. Both make many of the replacement gearsets and shafts. I am not sure if Sierra is owned by NAPA at this point. I am not sure of the quality of these aftermarket parts, the tools seem good. I have used many Sierra parts, but not gearsets, just pumps and bearings. GLM makes gears, I have heard Sierra's are better but haqve no experience..Mike at www.mercstuff.com seemed to prefer the Sierra gearsets The shaft bearing set was Chinese, I prefer "American bearings" but the ones I took out were American and they said Brazil on them.. so who knows.

I am sure a Bravo needs different tools than an Alpha, but I bet there are about the same number of special tools. I am only talking Alpha as it is the only one I can truly say I know what the F*** I'm talking about to some extent.... You also should have an engine alignment tool.

It cost me about $400 for bearings, seals and waterpump kit, $20 for a used driveshaft and about $65 to have the drive shaft I had re-welded over the eroded seal surface and ground back down smooth..a local machine shop did it for me.

There is a product called a speedy sleeve that can fix seal surfaces in some instances..you can use them everywhere due to the need to slide bearings on over some of the parts. It is a precision sleeve made of SS and it press fits over shafts that are worn, they come in .005'' different sizes for many sized shafts, and also come in differing lengths. Bearing supply houses sell them, Chicago Rawhide makes them. http://www.chicago-rawhide.com/auto/speedi/speedi.htm

By the way, you will notice Mercury and Seloc Manuals calling for 'Perfect Seal" After visiting a couple Marinas, and opening all the cans of various gasket sealers at NAPA, I looke thru the NAPA catalog, and determined that NAPA " Aviation Gasket Sealer" is their equivalent.. and it looked like the same goop the Marina had.. both Marinas used OMC 'Lower unit gasket sealrt BTW to further confuse me.

I hope all this useless knowlege I'm sharing is of some help, I figure maybe I can save some of you some research time.

I took my boat off the mooring this week and I'm jonesing hard for a ride..maybe a trailer launch on the weekend
Attached Thumbnails How many of you rebuilt your own bravo???-wellcraft.jpg  

Old 10-30-2002, 08:24 PM
rhino

Good call Audacity, sounds like Mr. Gadgets needs to try a different shop. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. The Alpha is a totally different unit from the Bravo. If you have the skill to build an Alpha, you just need the tools to build the Bravo. There are many differences in the tools/toolsets for standard 1998/earlier and XR/XZ. The replacement gearsets for the standard Bravo are very different from the original and require purchase of tower bearing puller tool. Be aware that different thrust washers are needed, but not mentioned 'till you buy the gear kit (what's up with that?). The new tower bearing is shorter than the original, failure to replace with proper bearing will certainly doom new gearset as I have seen on more than one occasion. Also the tool to install is NOT the same tool as standard tower bearing installation tool. Use of guide for mentioned tools is highly recommended. It's not a complicated drive by any means, but their are some points to watch out for. Like new gears and/or shaft but not checking pinion height. Why do people ignore that stuff? Also a couple of tricks to installing the input seal if you want it to stay put. If you are willing to take your time I'm sure most people could do their own drives, but don't sell ALL "pro's" short. The highest horsepower Mercury sells the bravo for by the way is 575hp. A good throttle can keep it alive but realize it was never intended to take 600,700, or whatever horsepower you want to throw at it.

Old 10-30-2002, 08:32 PM
rhino

Good call Audacity, sounds like Mr. Gadgets needs to try a different shop. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. The Alpha is a totally different unit from the Bravo. If you have the skill to build an Alpha, you just need the tools to build the Bravo. There are many differences in the tools/toolsets for standard 1998/earlier and XR/XZ. The replacement gearsets for the standard Bravo are very different from the original and require purchase of tower bearing puller tool. Be aware that different thrust washers are needed, but not mentioned 'till you buy the gear kit (what's up with that?). The new tower bearing is shorter than the original, failure to replace with proper bearing will certainly doom new gearset as I have seen on more than one occasion. Also the tool to install is NOT the same tool as standard tower bearing installation tool. Use of guide for mentioned tools is highly recommended. It's not a complicated drive by any means, but their are some points to watch out for. Like new gears and/or shaft but not checking pinion height. Why do people ignore that stuff? Also a couple of tricks to installing the input seal if you want it to stay put. If you are willing to take your time I'm sure most people could do their own drives, but don't sell ALL "pro's" short. The highest horsepower Mercury sells the bravo for by the way is 575hp. A good throttle can keep it alive but realize it was never intended to take 600,700, or whatever horsepower you want to throw at it.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:42 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

rhino,
Thanks for the input.. I have tried too many shops. I will learn myself how to do it properly. Of course with help from others. Still not too old to learn. Like you said, take my time and it will work. As I progress, I will have tons of questions.. So far I have purchased tools from Sterndrivspec... He has taken good care of me..

Thanks

Dick
Old 10-31-2002, 06:24 PM
rhino

Good luck Mr. Gadgets, Ihave responded to you elsewhere in the forum. Get everything by serial munbers, hope you still have your numbers (stamp them) Mercury factory numbers on decal is not the best idea.

Old 10-31-2002, 06:25 PM
rhino

Boy do I need SPELL CHECK!

Old 10-31-2002, 06:49 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speedie Sleeves

Guys, I stock the C/R Speedie Sleeves. We are a master distributor for C/R and most all bearing manufacturers as well.

I will sell them to any of the OSO guys at actual distributor cost plus shipping. They are expensive but worth every dollar. Most people mark them up 200%, so I can save you some money.

The Speedie Sleeves are slicker than owl ****, and you know how slick that is!

Call me at 704-881-0031 and ask for Mark.
Old 11-02-2002, 09:10 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dock,
I will be giving you a call, or if you could email me I can send a list of what I need for my drive as far as bearings go.. That may be easier..
Thanks

Dick

Quick Reply: How many of you rebuilt your own bravo???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.