What Procharger Should I Use?

Notices

What Procharger Should I Use?

Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
and all one needs to do is go to the big poker runs, and look whats powering the big skaters, mti's, outerlimits, nortechs and so on, with custom power. You wont see many prochargers thats for sure. But you will see quite a few screw blower setups.

I know one thing, my buddys M4 head unit could have fried an egg on it after a couple dyno pulls making 1200ish hp. Then there was the belt slip issues, bracket flex issues, and so on. Ill take a whipple anyday , and i bet anyone whos driven a 1200hp procharged setup and a 1200hp whipple setup in a BOAT , would agree.
and the EFI Whipples with the HP Holley ecu's idle like a 502......
Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Heres a good read . He makes a good point about the location of the IAT sensor. Many times its in the piping after the intercooler on a centrifugal, and on a roots/screw, its in the actual intake manifold. It be interesting to see both setups taking readings in the actual intake manifold before the air enters the cylinder.

Hes absolutely right on how at cruising, you get higher iat temps , because the air inside the intake is being recirculated. But as soon as you go wide open, that air gets flushed down the toilet basically. Ive seen that on dyno pulls and on the water with roots. The gauge plummets when the throttles are opened fully.

http://www.departmentofboost.com/tech/intake_air_temp_tech.htm
Old 03-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok you are making good points with quality information here. I want to ask what would be the ideal whipple charger and huge intercooler, to get below 100*
yes 100
Old 03-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Registered

Eddie young could answer that. I recall him saying on some whipple setups he's built, he sees less than 100* iat temps.

whipple makes the standard intercooler, MOAC, FOAC, and Dennis Parvey was making some killer intercoolers as well.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Registered

http://www.pfintercoolers.com/site/43bf9df3ebae4bb48898122507ce8712

http://www.cpperformance.com/c-828-intercoolers.aspx
Old 03-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by turbos230
Also the whipple blower has to use that intercooler that is on top of the intake area, that is one of the hotest areas so that type of intercooling is not as efficent as the procharger intercooler setup where the intrecooler is on the side, not in a hotsauna on top of the engine.

Sorry, but that's not true. Whipple's intercooler is made from CuNi. Procharger uses an aluminum core. The CuNi is extremely expensive. However, they use it for a reason. That's because it has some of the best heat transfer abilities of any other suitable material. Plus you have the fuel going through the blower as well. I've had them form ice on top of the blower, even in summer.
If you do a front mount Procharger, you will kill ALL of your forward working room. You will play hell getting to the outside of the engines.

To make 1200 hp with a Whipple on a 572 is pretty brain dead. All it takes is a 4.0L and a MOAC. However, if you think that you may want more, go to a 4.5L. There is no need to use anything larger than a MOAC intercooler.

Your IAT will depend on ambient air and lake water temp. There is really no way to say that temps will be X on any given day. They will vary.

They will idle better, run better, not sound like a rock crusher at idle, etc. with a Whipple. The vast majority of my customer could care less what I use to make the power, whether it be a Whipple, roots, Procharger, turbo, etc. They want to know how much it costs, how much power it will make and will it live. So, I pretty much have free reign to do whatever I want. I do build Procharged engines, as well as Roots on a semi regular basis. However, 95% of them get a Whipple.There are several good reasons for that.

We would be glad to help or set you up with what you need. You can reach me anytime at 615-216-7449
Eddie
Old 03-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is another thing I was thinking about,If you have to push or suck the sir through the intercooler mounted on te intake area below the whipple does this not make alot of resistance, well I am talking about this kind of intercooler below, would this hurt performance? all the air through that small square and then there is that mesh there also?

Last edited by turbos230; 03-07-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,409 Posts

that pic is of an automotive cooler, here's one of mine, no need to second guess the Whipple blowers their a proven reliable product.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe my iat sensors were in the intake manifold.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

You sure do make every aspect of a traditional build difficult and over complicated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.