Header bending and assembly questions >

Header bending and assembly questions

Notices

Header bending and assembly questions

Old 10-24-2002, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rag, I thought everyone always read my posts LOL

What I did was bought a set of stainless steel risers from some place out in California they were take offs from some dealer
they had been run but like half a season

What I did was bought myself a pipe cutter tool, and an expander tool
From there I got some stainless steel welding rods and borrowed a friends torch.
I got some pipe (galvanized cause I could not find stainless anywhere near me in a short period of time.)

I made a PVC template of the pipe I needed and grinded and sanded it down to match the inside of the outlet of the riser
Then I slipped this PVC pipe into the galvanized pipe I got and
basically formed it to match the PVC that was inside it (flat on the one side of the pipe at the top cause riser elbows outlets are not perfectally round)

From there basically took a mallet and smacked them in the riser about 3 inches, each time I smacked it in about 1/2 inch I used some real high temp exhaust gasket goop just to have something to sort of seal it (granted that wont last too long but it will hold for a while)
Then after I got the pipes in and used a template that told me when the angle was perfect I started stick welding the pipes to the risers at the outlet
My cams have 7 degrees of overlap on a 110 LSA so they would tend to suck water right in and up there.
So with these riser extensions now there is no chance of that at all.
To worry about asthetics as well I took all that rubber foam stuff exhaust tubing stuff out of the boat and used 4 inch chrome pipes that I got from a MACK truck Parts distributor and cut the lengths I needed (about 16 inches)
I reused the rubber coupler from the origional exhaust and the silent choice I used to have to couple it from the riser to the tramsom
So now if you look In my engine compartment, You have the stock merc exhaust manifolds and risers but then chrome pipes out to the back of the inside of the transom.
small rubber coupler on each end of the chrome pipe.
Looks very good but the sneaky part is if you look at the back of the boat and lift up the rubber flappers about 3 inches up you see the inner pipe where the exhaust flows and then the outer pipe where the water flows
so basically it is a pipe in a pipe setup to create a dry exhaust setup that cost me in materials including the chrome pipes and stuff about 70 dollars for both engines.
Hows that for exhaust solutions to big cams when you cant afford 3500 per pair stellings headers and pipes!!!

Give me a challenge I will come up with a solution.
Put me in Jesse James' Monster garage, Ill wow them too

I dont have pics of my exhaust but I can get them when I go get the stuff from Ike's (he has all my exhaust there)
Ill snap a few shots for you
Jason
Old 10-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and Rag one more thing
I wanted her LOUD

I like the fact that engine can scavenge exhaust from the manifold since it is one huge chamber and the dry pipes make it perfect
Now if I could only get it even louder than it already is Id be happy
Jason