Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
aluminum head recommendations >

aluminum head recommendations

Notices

aluminum head recommendations

Old 10-24-2002, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had really good luck with the Canfield heads. They flow great #'s when ported correctly, and make great power. They also seem to be good against corrosion. They are also very inexpensive. We can offer you a complete set, with Manley severe duty Inconel exhaust valves, and Stainless Intake Valves. These heads are full ported and polished, with CNC chambers. They will be complete and custom built for your engine. All you'll have to do is bolt them on. For about $2500.00 Feel free to call me if you need anything.

Stephen
Old 10-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Registered

hp confusion-cylinder heads
we all know that horsepower is directly related to airflow (cfm).I dont understand something why dont we just put a 400+cylinder head and receive more hp. why use dart 310's or 330's
isnt bigger better when it comes to heads?!?
why?
I know some heads suggest hi-comp(why?) like bb2xtra brodix;but they also work perfect with lower comps?
Old 10-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Registered

Just call Dave at AFR. (818) 890-0616 ex.111. He will give you the #'s and send you the test sheets. If you don't like the price; look elsewhere. ---- Jer
Old 10-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Registered

It's called "volumemetric efficiency". Sometimes bigger is better and sometimes faster is better. The right combination of big and fast makes the most power. Talk to "The Man Who Flows, Knows" !! --- Jer
Old 10-27-2002, 06:09 PM
Dennis Moore

Default The heads are just fine.

Dean,
When dealing with a supercharger the size of the intake ports becomes a minor consideration.
A naturally aspirated engine needs to have the intake ports matched perfectly to the camshaft and exhaust system.
As long as you have large ports, and the stock rectangle port heads are large, the performance increase from changing to a larger port is almost nil with a supercharger. If you want more power you just increase the boost. Don't waste your money, install blower pistons (or simply install flat top pistons) to lower your compression. The stock heads are good!
Sincerely
Dennis Moore
FAMILY AND PERFORMANCE BOATING MAGAZINE

Old 10-28-2002, 02:09 AM
Registered

Simply raising the boost will work fine for a short amount of time, but this will not account for inefficient heads. We engine builders wouldn't spend countless hours porting and flowing heads if it wasn't very effective in producing RELIABLE HP. The whole point in having cylinder heads that flow high volume correctly is to increase the engines efficiency, thus creating more HP at a lower boost. This increases engine life.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:02 AM
turbo2256

We had a set of fully CNC ed AFR small block Chevy heads I remember getting about 30 more CFM out of them and maybe increasing volume about 2 cc.

Old 10-28-2002, 07:41 AM
Registered

Kaama- Only one problem with your post. When I ordered the AFR's I was told it would be 8 weeks before I got them. I thought I was told about 2 weeks when I had called before asking all kinds of questions. The extra time might be because they are not installing the regular valves & springs they normally do.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offence but you have to look at the exhaust ports on the gm iron heads as well. Overlooking the fact that the left intake port flows considerably less than the right and the ports are overall ineffiecent as far as volume v/s airflow, the exhaust ports are turds at best out of the box. By compairson a small block aftermarket head ported (1.6 valve)
will outflow a stock or slightly modified (1.88 valve) big block head. With extensive porting the airflow can be increased substantually, but not enough to match a ported aftermarket head. First hand experience is by increasing airflow (big port or small, I prefer small) the hp will remain close to the same. The boost will drop depending on the airflow increase.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark

Does that 1380.00 include the the port work from the previous year too?

Exactly how much experience do you have with cnc'd heads other than what you have heard or read? Did you do a A/B compairson? Maybe you can buy a couple of sets and post the results.

I believe the nascar teams tweek their heads after the cnc process. When I did a set of heads for Melling/ Bill Elliot six years back, they told me to charge them $2,500.00 just for port work. I heard rumors of pro stock heads for $4,000.00 and up for labor. Quit Winning

Quick Reply: aluminum head recommendations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.