Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
aluminum head recommendations >

aluminum head recommendations

Notices

aluminum head recommendations

Old 10-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ironman, glad to hear the carb worked out for you. I had my Pro 1's professionally ported when I bought them. I would be afraid to take a grinder to a brand new set of heads.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KAAMA,

Glad I didn't have to deal with that back home!! What a mess! My mechanic only had my boat 3 months. I had a new engine tricked out. Supercharger and new IMCO steering and outdrive on in that time!!

KAAMA,

And you never told me about this when we took it out! I guees you were trying to be the nice guy and not bad mouth anybody.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:09 AM
JSV

WETTE VETTE

I dont think you will see any major hp gains by fully porting the manifold. Port matching and reworking the radii in the plenium would benifet the most. I could do that for you for $150.00. Thanks, JimV

Old 10-30-2002, 08:43 AM
Registered

Mark

I remember you telling me about your bad experience with your last builder. I think you told me he screwed you too. I can see a pattern here.

Here is what I will do to put an end to this. You think I owe you two grand. I will credit you $2,500.00 towards parts and labor on your next set of engines. Obviously they will have to be assembled by us and the parts purchased by us. Now I know what you are thinking, Im going to mark up the price to cover the $2,500. What I will do is charge the prices out of the Summit catalog. I will make this offer good for the next five years with all sincerity, JimV. Now that should make you happy

Oh BTW Mark your welcome to come in to my shop anytime pizza's on me.

Last edited by JimV; 10-30-2002 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Registered

Boy that sounds like a hell of a counteroffer JimV, I would have to say you are putting your work where your mouth on that issue. Nothing like making the customer happy.

JimV in all honesty have you built or dynoed a motor with CNC heads and then ported them and dynoed that same combo again. Personally I like the idea of a custom port tailored to fit the marine motor. How much power is gainable from CNC to full hand port in a marine application in all honesty say at 5600 RPM. Considering that it takes something in the neighborhood of 15-20 hp to gain 100 RPM, you see what I am driving at?
Old 10-30-2002, 12:04 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Looks like a fair deal to me Mark.......keeping your customers happy is the name of the game....
Old 10-30-2002, 12:11 PM
Registered

No BS I have not done an A/B on the dyno, I cant even get Dart to send me a cnc'd head so I can flow it, I really dont want to buy one. I would expect to see big differences in the torque in the midrange but I cant answer your second question. I have talked to guys that got 4-5% more air out of a CNC ported head.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:32 PM
Registered

Jimv- Way to go wish I has some engine builders down here like you. When I heard Kaama's complaints I did not know he was talking about you.

Now back to subject at hand. When I get my AFR heads in I can go & have them flowed. Will this give you any good information if I do? Will numbers from one different alot from another? Will we be able to compare apples for apples. I was not planing on doing any changes to my boat except change heads, & replumb the intercooler to get water before all the other coolers. Only big factor will be I will be making run when air temps will be in 60's & water temps in 60's. Best speed this spring was 104, best this summer with 85degree water was 95.7. All speeds on GPS digital speedo.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:38 AM
Registered

Turbojack

If the flow work is done on a superflow bench the numbers should be accurate. The only variable would be the bore size their using on the flowbench. That would be great if you could post the results.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:59 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Jim what would it cost to port my Merlin Ovals????not anything to extream ......what kind of gains are seen with porting on them?

Quick Reply: aluminum head recommendations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.