496ho Ignition Troubleshooting >

496ho Ignition Troubleshooting

Notices

496ho Ignition Troubleshooting

Old 05-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496ho Ignition Troubleshooting

I have a 35 Fountain Executioner, while winterizing last year my friend held the key while the boat was running. Now the starter is not getting power. I jumped the starter solenoid and validated starter is good, checked the 90 amp fuse on starter, pulled and tested starter solenoid. Looks like starter solenoid is not getting power. I checked the breaker near the switch but still no power. Is there another fuse i am missing?
Old 05-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

There is a slave replay up by the PCM, don't know your serial number so unsure if you have 3 or 5 relays. One of them is the slave relay which energizes the starter solenoid. It will have a small and slightly larger Yellow/Red striped wires on it

Genuine Mercury & Mercruiser parts. PCM and Bracket
Old 05-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are referring the slave solenoid, I removed it and tested it and found no problems. When turning key the small yellow and red wire does not have any power.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

That is what I was discussing.

The Small Yellow/Red goes from the key, to the neutral safety switch in the throttle control and back to the slave relay. See if you have 12V when key is turned on the S terminal.

If you do, turn key and move the throttle a tad FOR/AFT and if it cranks then the neutral switch or adjustment is the issue. If it doesn't then might be the neutral switch on corroded contacts
Old 05-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second the safety neutral switch ^^^^^^^