Superchiller or Whipple intercooler? >

Superchiller or Whipple intercooler?

Notices

Superchiller or Whipple intercooler?

Old 10-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Superchiller or Whipple intercooler?

It seems that the Superchiller is more popular. Is it a cost issue or is Superchiller more efficient thant the Whipple? I like the Whipple's low profile and its non-corrosive design, but know nothing about its performance: except what Whipple has said.
Anyone using a Whipple cooler and how do you like it?
Old 10-23-2002, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact some of the larger engine builders, theres absolutely no question, 100% hands down that ours is more efficient than the Superchiller. This is a cost issue and a margin for profit issue, thats' why quite a few still use it. Call Pfaff, Gary Teague @ GT, Larry Peto @ Larrys Engine, etc. Just look at the core, it's a better material for cooling (pure cooper air fins), twice the fin area (24per inch), louvered air fins, same 2.5" thickness, , large water passeges so it doesn't plug up, etc.

Normally I wouldn't say anything, just let others discuss this, but I've heard by far, the lamest reasons why our core is worst than Superchiller. I've only heard these second hand from customers that have called around, so if you hear something odd, let me know.

Thanks,
Dustin
Attached Thumbnails Superchiller or Whipple intercooler?-cooler-copy.jpg  
Old 10-24-2002, 06:35 AM
merlin540

dustin how much higher does it raise the blower. looking for 2 for a 8/71 setup on a 31 ao. i dont want to cut the hatch for scoops engines are 510 hyd roller with 10 psi boost they make 970 hp and 920 fp torque. what power gain will i expect boat runs 123 mph now at 6500 rpm thaks charlie amann

Old 10-24-2002, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dustin, Merlin-
We need 2 for a Chris Cat: also where we don't want to further modify the hatch. 8-71 blown 572's, etc: currently running 5# of boost. 121.8 mph (gps) @5,850

The Whipple height is about 1.5" taller than standard blower manifold?
Old 10-24-2002, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Dustin:

Nice looking piece of hardware. The large cross-sectional area of your core is a big advantage, even if it does require a different intake manifold. Do you have any numbers on efficiency and heat rejection for this core at a given temperature and volume of air and water? Roughly speaking, how does its performance compare to an aluminum core of similar construction? I think I remember you saying that this core is manufactured for you by Garret. Anyone there you would recommend talking to? I'm working with Spearco/Turbonetics now, but would be interested in getting more performance when core volume is limited by other factors.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 10-24-2002, 09:25 PM
Registered

The intercooler can add anywhere from 0-2" depending on current intake manifold. I think the lowest out there is the Weiand so we add about 1.875" to that one. Height can always be brought down approx. .5" for clearance but a small sacrifice in cooling.

Merlin540 and Dueclaws, I'm assuming this info is non intercooled, or is with Superchiller's?

Tomcat, Garrett really doesn't sale one off stuff, there more into the production mode. Our cores are mfg'd for our applications so we don't have optional sizes, only what fits our applications. I do have a considerable amount of units that could be used for something, there more compact, much thicker, but same design. I have quite a bit of test data but we don't release this information. If you do a comparable test between this material and aluminum with the exact same design, same flow, etc., you will see approx. 6-8% better cooling with everything the same. Copper is almost twice as efficient as aluminum. Compared to an aluminum core like Superchillers, its well over 25% more effective with equal levels of boost and water flow.

Thanks
Dustin
Old 10-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dustin,

What does it add to 575 a for hight?
Old 10-24-2002, 11:01 PM
Registered

Von Bongo,

1.675" is the minimum increase on the 575SCI.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 10-25-2002, 06:59 AM
merlin540

mine is non intercooled with a blower shop intake manifold and a 8/71 littlefield blower thanks charlie amann

Old 10-25-2002, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info Dustin. If I understand correctly it sounds like copper transfers heat twice as fast as aluminum, but in back to back tests of identical geometry, it ends up that the copper intercooler has 6-8% more cooling efficiency. That's actually a pretty big difference. The Spearco core I'm working with is about 72% efficient at the temp and flow I'm working with. To go up to 80% would be a significant gain. And finally, due to the copper and other differences, you are 25% more cooling efficient than the Superchiller. Did I get that right?

How many units does Garrett consider a production run? I need a core that is 7.75"H X 10"W X 4.5"D. The 7.75 X 10 is the charge side, The 7.75 X 4.5 is the water side. Doe you have any cores in this size range?

Thanks,

Tom

Quick Reply: Superchiller or Whipple intercooler?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.