Valve cover breathers and Vortec flame arrestors >

Valve cover breathers and Vortec flame arrestors

Notices

Valve cover breathers and Vortec flame arrestors

Old 10-23-2002, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Valve cover breathers and Vortec flame arrestors

After installing my new vortec flame arrestor on my gen V 454 MAG EFI engine, I noticed that I no longer could use the original vent tube out of the the valve cover on the even side of the motor. The new flame arrestor comes with a 3/8 diameter hose that I am somehow supposed to attach the PCV valve and to the flame arrestor. The only way I could do this was to "T" the hose that is connecting the odd side valve cover PCV valve to the even side PCV valve and block off the vent tube opening that went straight up to the flame arrestor. I'm wondering if this was not the correct way of doing this? I'm asking this because I seem to be burning more oil than I used to burn and when I take off the flame arrestor I can see evidence of oil in the opening to the throttle body.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:04 PM
Ric232

That's interesting. I installed a Vortech arrestor on my 454 Mag MPI (Gen VI) with no problem. The hose that runs from the PCV valve (port side of engine) runs to a fitting that is under the MPI plenum (just downstream from the throttle body). This does not change when you install the Vortech. The hose that runs from the breather valve on the starboard side of the engine goes to the fitting in the flame arrestor.

It sounds like yours might be set up differently.

Old 10-24-2002, 07:10 AM
Registered

Yes... looking at my setup. I have a PCV valve that is a plastic elbow coming out of my port side valve cover. A 1/2" diameter hose connects this elbow to my starboard side PCV valve/baffle which has a 1/2" diameter tube that extends straight up 2 or 3 inches to my metal flame arrestor (OEM). The problem I have with this setup is that the 1/2 diameter hose is much larger than the hose that comes with the new flame arrestor and when I tried to hook it up to the vertical tube, the hose would kink. The top of the PCV valve/baffle is also very close to the bottom of the new flame arrestor - so this also puts a kink in the hose. Maybe the kit should come with some sort of elbow that connects to the top of the PCV valve/baffle on the starboard side that reduces to the 3/8" hose they supply with the flame arrestor? I will make a call. But, I believe the way I have it hooked up now with a "T" in the hose connecting the port and starboard PCV valves bypasses any baffle that is setup in the starboard side PCV valve/baffle. And this could explain my excessive oil usage.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Registered

Update- I can just leave the PCV configuration stock and plug up the hole where the 90 degree fitting screws into the back of the flame arrestor. I may have to shorten the hose out of the starboard side PCV/baffle that goes straight up into the bottom of the element of the flame arrestor. I will try that in the spring.