Crank Seal Color Code??

Notices

Crank Seal Color Code??

Old 10-23-2002, 07:33 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Seal Color Code??

Is there a color code for the crank seal? I have an Eagle Crank and the rear main seal is yellow. Isn't yellow the color for a reverse rotation engine? Please advise.

Thank You,

Kirk
Old 10-24-2002, 06:00 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Default Anyone?

Someone has to know the answer...or does anyone have a website I could research on this subject???

Thanks -

Kirk
Old 10-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen a yellow rear main seal. The fel pro seal I have used on my motors is gray. I don't think Fel Pro offers a left and right hand rotation rear seal and I do not see how it would make any difference, at least on the mark IV 2 pc seal motors. Keep in mind that I am not an engine builder, but have been into a dozen or so engines. Are you still getting that mystery leak?
Old 10-24-2002, 08:59 PM
FindMe

YES.... THERE ARE REVERSE ROTATION SEALS!

What is different, is the direction of the inlays directing oil away from the flywheel and back to the oil pan. Im not sure what the #'s are, but here is what Fel-Pro has to say about it...

Special Marine Crankshaft Seals Available

The FEL-PRO® Marine Gaskets line offers optional timing cover seals and rear main bearing seals for reverse rotation engine applications. The standard engine rotation direction is counterclockwise (left hand) flywheel rotation. However, in certain engine installations (such as V-Drive) reverse engine rotation is used. Reverse engine rotation direction is clockwise (right hand) flywheel rotation. It is critical to determine engine rotation before selling crankshaft seals for a marine application. The two different types of seals have different helixes on the sealing lip to direct oil back into the engine, so using the wrong seal can actually direct oil out of the engine. Be sure you know which type your customer's engine uses when selecting crank seals.

Remember that propeller rotation is NOT always the same as engine rotation. Do not rely on propeller rotation to determine correct engine rotation.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Registered

Learn something new everyday. Is it a yellow seal?
Old 10-24-2002, 09:08 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Default Mystery Leak

Its no mystery anymore. I pulled the engine and found the attached picture. The rear main bearing is wiped out. No other damaged noticed though, I hope I got lucky. Engine is stripped and at the machine shop now, I'm having the crank xrayed, might just get a new one, I haven't heard all that good of reviews on Eagle Cranks.

It does matter what type of rotation/seal combination you have, the grooves in the seal are designed to keep the oil flowing back into the engine when it wipes the oil from the crank. You are correct, typically a grey seal is used.

The seal in this recently rebuilt (10 - 15 Hour) engine is yellow. The machinist thinks it might be the wrong seal, but he was not that familiar with Eagle Cranks & seals. I sent the bottom of the seal to the original engine builder. They didn't respond. I sent Email and made 3 calls, all they wanted was a credit card from me. They evidently don't take too much pride in their work if they don't want to find out what caused the failure. They shall remain nameless until I find the true cause though. Don't want to point fingers....yet.

If you find out any further info, please let me know.

Thank You
Old 10-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Default The Damage

Heres the bearing picture....don't stare too long it will make you sick like it did to me......
Old 10-24-2002, 09:17 PM
Registered

Well, now I have seen a yellow rear main seal.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally posted by WETTE VETTE
Learn something new everyday. Is it a yellow seal?

agree.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:28 AM
Registered

Just a quick question,
Is your motor a Gen IV or v, or VI

Picture looks like a IV.
I am having a similar problem with a Gen V but when I looked at replacement seals, they all do not show any difference.

SHeikman