Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 mag Silent choice doesn't work!!! >

454 mag Silent choice doesn't work!!!

Notices

454 mag Silent choice doesn't work!!!

Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 454 mag Silent choice doesn't work!!!

I have a 1996 crownline 454 mag with Silent choice exhaust and I cant find a wiring diagram. When I hit the switch it lights up but the silent choice actuators do nothing. The exhaust stays close to thru hull. I can manually pull them open but i want the button to work. The guy I bought the boat told me the breaker kept popping on this and all that needed to be done was to push the button but that didnt work. Ive tried tracing the wires but they are in the harness. I have the manual 16 but it only has troubleshooting for air pump style and not electric which i have. I feel like there may be a fuse somewhere Im missing but without a diagram I cant hardly troubleshoot it or tell where a fuse may be.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Mine started doing that also, and it was the control piece inside the harness in most cases, but can also be the solenoids. If its the old 4 wire ones, I would just upgrade to the newer 3 wire and new harness. That's what I did
Old 07-19-2018, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m guessing you have Corsa exhaust and being a 1996 the four wire solenoids below is the webpage with directions for testing. I can tell you from experience they won’t work with the slightest corrosion and/or weak batteries. I would test the solenoids, clean the connections and leave one unplugged and see if it will pull one by itself.
If it turns out to be the harness I have a spare one that’s missing the boot at the breaker.

If the solenoids are not pulling then the diverters should be closed and exhaust going through drive

CORSA Performance Marine - Solenoid Testing

Last edited by Kefurr; 07-19-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM
Registered

Ill have to do some research but I believe its the standard/stock mercruiser silent choice with two wires on it. Let me look into what I have. I feel like there has to be a fuse somewhere and Im missing it.

It is definitely two wire but I believe it is Corsa exhaust.

Last edited by cableguy1979; 07-19-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Registered

It has only 2 wires feeding the control in the harness, but has either 3 or 4 wires from the control to the solenoids
Old 07-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Registered

I haven't checked the other side but I will. First where can I find the "control in the harness"? I was able to look at one of the solenoids and two wire have post on the solenoid but there is a 3rd red wire that is cut. Its about a foot long and is attached to the accessories post on the solenoid. I assumed it was for amp and speaker system but no I'm thinking this is why it isn't working. I don't see anything where it should go or another wire somewhere else. a schematic for mercruiser with the electric exhaust would be most helpful right now.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Registered

Unable to find a diagram but the link previously posted has how to test the parts and harness.

Here is another discussion
Corsa Silent Choice problem
Old 07-21-2018, 08:50 PM
Registered

Good info Alldodge. I called corsa and they sent me the wiring diagram. Now if I can find the solenoids for the exhaust I can test it.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cableguy1979
Good info Alldodge. I called corsa and they sent me the wiring diagram. Now if I can find the solenoids for the exhaust I can test it.
They should be sitting on top on the diverters.

Ken
Old 07-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Registered

I meant to say "if I can find the relays"

So i got the engine back together and I found a wire on one of the solenoids that was cut. I spliced it back to the solenoid after I found it tucked in a mess of wiring in its tube. Still no luck. I havent had a chance to look into powering of the solenoids yet but I will and post back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.