Tuning Values, need opinion >

Tuning Values, need opinion

Notices

Tuning Values, need opinion

Old 08-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning Values, need opinion

Below are the values I pulled off my MEFI3 for the BPW based on RPM & MAP 1200-3600 the values are for 3400 RPM's.
The MEFI3 is for a 2000 502 Merc Mag that's had some intake work, cam and pistons put in a few years back. I'm just wanting a quick observation on the values...lean, rich or need more info.

................................................MA P
.................30.... 40....50.... 60.....70.....80....90.....100
RPM 3400 1.40, 2.01, 2.50, 3.48, 4.39, 5.13, 6.47, 7.75

Thanks

Last edited by JonnyT; 08-13-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 903 Likes on 454 Posts

only way your gonna know,pull the plugs or install an afr meter.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:26 PM
Registered

I've got a plate and innovated LC-1 on the way, just didn't know if these values look in line with other MEFI3 on 502 MPI Mag's.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:14 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Need way more information.

Stock tune?

What size injectors?

Stock fuel pressure or something else?

I wouldn't waste your time trying to read plugs. Pull a plug and tell me if the AFR is 12.5 or 14.2......answer: you can't. Install the wideband and get readings throughout the entire power band. Over and under prop it when testing to get the fringe parameters too.

After that we can offer more valuable assistance.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Registered

Resurrecting this from a couple weeks ago.
To answer your questions Trash:
No to the stock tune...bought the boat used with intake work, cam, pistons and tune already done.
Stock injectors recently send off and checked
Fuel pressure is set to 42 psi, I removed the cool fuel system and install an A750 with regulator and return line.
The background on the motor is a 2000 502 Mag B1 with roughly 160 hours, I have a build sheet with no cam data but I did talk to the builder who did the cam selection, intake work and tune back in 2003, to best of his knowledge I have a 228/232 .600/.610 114 separation, the heads were reworked and JE pistions were installed.

The numbers I posted earlier are not the numbers I'm running now, still needs some tweeking but over all it's much better. I have not touched the timing tables.

I'm using TunerPro RT with MEFIBurn, and looking at the tables available in the MEFI3 bin file I have and I'm not finding a coefficient table that will add or subtract BPW based on engine temp or air intake temp...maybe there no such thing on the MEFI3 but I would think there would be?
Old 08-27-2018, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyT
No to the stock tune...bought the boat used with intake work, cam, pistons and tune already done.
Fuel pressure is set to 42 psi, I removed the cool fuel system and install an A750 with regulator and return line.
The background on the motor is a 2000 502 Mag B1 with roughly 160 hours, I have a build sheet with no cam data but I did talk to the builder who did the cam selection, intake work and tune back in 2003, to best of his knowledge I have a 228/232 .600/.610 114 separation, the heads were reworked and JE pistions were installed.

The numbers I posted earlier are not the numbers I'm running now, still needs some tweeking but over all it's much better. I have not touched the timing tables.

I'm using TunerPro RT with MEFIBurn, and looking at the tables available in the MEFI3 bin file I have and I'm not finding a coefficient table that will add or subtract BPW based on engine temp or air intake temp...maybe there no such thing on the MEFI3 but I would think there would be?
Run BPW based on ECT
Run BPW based on IAT or MAT
funny thing is alot of mercruiser mpis have no numbers in mat/iat table (like 500efi) BUT the innovation 500efi DID fwiw, Smitty
Old 08-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Registered

What size injectors? I know they are stock but to have the actual flow rating is beneficial.

If you are looking at altering the BPW vs engine temp or intake temp, don't start there. Like Arctic stated, the IAT table is often zero (try find an intake temp sensor). If you alter the BPW vs ECT table it alters AFR globally....so start with a warm engine and work the main BPW/MAP/RPM table first. Then you can alter the BPW vs ECT table, but in all honesty you could just leave that table alone as long as the current values aren't out to lunch. The operating temp values should be at 1.00. Note the table has temp in Celcius.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Registered

Thanks Articfriends, I'm trying to match up your table descriptions (which I can understand) with the author of the program's table descriptions and they're not jumping out. Could this be is a scaler? Bare with me...

Trash, I understand what you're say about getting the BPW/MAP/RPM squared first and that is my intentions. What I have noticed is I'll go run in the morning for a bit (air temp cooler) and on a hard pull my AFR is mid 11's to 12's then go run in the afternoon (15 to 20 degrees difference) and I'm really rich (low 10 AFR) on the low end low (1200 to 3200 RPM).

Would this be the table > Acceleration Erichment MAP filter based on ECT?
Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 PM
Registered

Thanks Articfriends, I'm trying to match up your table descriptions (which I can understand) with the author of the program's table descriptions and they're not jumping out. Could this be is a scaler? Bare with me...

Trash, I understand what you're say about getting the BPW/MAP/RPM squared first and that is my intentions. What I have noticed is I'll go run in the morning for a bit (air temp cooler) and on a hard pull my AFR is mid 11's to 12's then go run in the afternoon (15 to 20 degrees difference) and I'm really rich (low 10 AFR) on the low end low (1200 to 3200 RPM).

Would this be the table > Acceleration Erichment MAP filter based on ECT?
NO, do not start at the acceleration enrichement table. Leave that alone.

The ECT vs run BPW modifier is only applicable for a short period of time because the motors warm up fairly quickly especially when running under load. So your difference in AFR between morning and afternoon runs is not due to values in that table. Now those values may be off but they aren't causing the AFR swings you are seeing.

What do you mean by "hard pulls" in the morning and then you state in the afternoon you are rich in the 1200-3200 rpm band? I read that as two completely different operating regimes. Again, you need to get into the BPW/MAP/RPM table. 99% of your tuning should be done there.

Don't concentrate on transients just yet. Get some good steady state baseline data, THEN slowly work the table. Get the motor warmed up and log AFRs in 200 rpm increments from idle in gear to WOT. Record the MAP at each point too. Now you can get into the fuel table and start tweaking things IF needed.