LSA Engine Open Cooling?

Notices

LSA Engine Open Cooling?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:04 PM
15x
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSA Engine Open Cooling?

Changing out the 377 in my 2009 Pachanga... Ordered a Crate LSA 6.2 All aluminum engine from GM Performance. I only run fresh water lakes in Northern Ontario/Manitoba Canada. Looking for your thoughts on running an open cooling system & closed system for supercharger intercooler with remote oil cooler including a filter/screen via electric circulation pump like used on a camaro/corvette.

Thanks

Last edited by 15x; 10-17-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,483 Likes on 827 Posts

Why not just run a closed system? BTW I have been looking on that web site and they say not for marine. Did you find out something different?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 508 Likes on 279 Posts

You may want to get information from someone smarter than me on why its "not for marine use"
JMO - If I were to go with that engine I would go with a closed system due to corrosion inhibition and probably easier to maintain operating temp
Old 10-18-2018, 01:24 PM
LS1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a customer with a twin LSA application and we made some closed cooling tanks for him. PM me if you need any assistance. I still have some data and drawings that might help.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run a closed system
their was a guy on here that did a ls3 stoker build running in a man made lake, after a year he converted to close cooling if i recall because of the corrosion issues
Old 10-18-2018, 06:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

You need a closed system for many reason and for longevity. Electric water pumps basically are short duration and how does it adjust for the ever wide changing RPMs that a marine engine goes thru for hours on end ? Yes they are great for drag racing and so forth but thats blast off and shut the engine off in 10 seconds -- no hours of on and off the throttles for a jist to see water flow spikes / volumes and water temp drops & spikes. Plus has any one done YEARS of testing for duration with electric water pumps in the complete marine enviroment on open water cooling systems ??

A closed system will maintain constant temps alot better thru out all rpms and that helps and keeps the expansion rates were they need to be with aluminum engines and those parts for a jist. Then you have the corrosion issues but thats really a no brainer.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 95 Likes on 43 Posts

I think a member ( corey331) did an ls into a checkmate a while ago.... if I remember right he said the motor was pretty corroded within one summer of fresh water running, and went to closed cooling after that.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 603 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1
I had a customer with a twin LSA application and we made some closed cooling tanks for him. PM me if you need any assistance. I still have some data and drawings that might help.

Any more info on the boat and setup?
Old 10-19-2018, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aluminum will corrode in fresh water as well...saltwater just speeds it up, run closed system, also ALL GM crate engines listed as "not for marine use" they sell componants to a 3rd party to build "marine" engines and all warranty is thru them.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 1,483 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
aluminum will corrode in fresh water as well...saltwater just speeds it up, run closed system, also ALL GM crate engines listed as "not for marine use" they sell componants to a 3rd party to build "marine" engines and all warranty is thru them.
So the 6.2L SC motor here isn't provided by GM? I have been wondering as it seems like this would be a nice replacement for my 500EFI motors. Less weight, closed cooling and MORE room.

GM Marine Engines | GM Powertrain Marine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.