Chevy Bolt to Block Oil Cooler Fitment >

Chevy Bolt to Block Oil Cooler Fitment

Notices

Chevy Bolt to Block Oil Cooler Fitment

Old 01-02-2019, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Chevy Bolt to Block Oil Cooler Fitment

I have some old oil coolers that I was planning to use on my SBC's. When trying to fit them up, it appears they are for earlier blocks that used the old style canister oil filter as they have a large bolt in the center to hold them on. The new blocks don't have this bold hole.

They look a lot like these but not exact. https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1426...34-length.aspx

Anyone know if there are adapters that I might use to bolt to the block and offer connection for these?

Tom
Old 01-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

Tom,
Are you sure they are for small blocks ? What size is the bolt that holds them on ? Picture maybe ?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Can you post a pic of your oil filter pad area. Never seen BBC/SBC that had just one bolt rather than two that bolted up the filter adapter. SBC vs BBC use the same adapter for many years. I'm not savvy on the newer later gens though.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 904 Likes on 455 Posts

gen 5/6 use a center thru fitting,mark4's use an adapter held on by 2 bolts that mount the screw on adapter for a filter,or remove the adapter and bolt the oil cooler the op posted.I had the gil savage oil coolers on my original 454's.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Registered

Even pre 65/68 takes two bolts. I think you might be overlooking something or I'm just not understanding correctly.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
gen 5/6 use a center thru fitting,mark4's use an adapter held on by 2 bolts that mount the screw on adapter for a filter,or remove the adapter and bolt the oil cooler the op posted.I had the gil savage oil coolers on my original 454's.

You made me think back. Can remember removing remote adapter more than once. On gen v but was thinking they left the the two tapped holes for old school adapter. So sounds like OT has more current gen engines rather than the way I anticipated it.

Would it be possible to use a combo of adapters and run remotely if only alternative. Just thinking out loud. Probably not much more to purchase a couple of new coolers.

Last edited by getrdunn; 01-02-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 PM
Registered

I'll have to get pictures next time I'm there. The bolt is same size as the bolt holding my old canister style filter on my '65 sbc. I think maybe 1/2"?

Need to get up in there a little more I guess.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Even pre 65/68 takes two bolts. I think you might be overlooking something or I'm just not understanding correctly.
The early engines that used a canister filter had a threaded hole right in the middle for the long bolt that held the canister on. They also had the two bolts that held the bypass valve assembly onto the filter pad.

For some reason I seem to remember drilling and tapping a later block to work with the canister filter. I will have to look at a block in a little while and confirm that it could be done.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Registered

Are all big blocks threaded in center? I wonder if these were indeed on only when the boat had big blocks. They were in a box when I got it with sbc's... I don't think it would have ever had pre-1967 small blocks in it now that I think this through a little.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ttrm007
Are all big blocks threaded in center? I wonder if these were indeed on only when the boat had big blocks. They were in a box when I got it with sbc's... I don't think it would have ever had pre-1967 small blocks in it now that I think this through a little.
Only the newer ones and they use a real big fitting there, probably 3/4" diameter. They could have possibly had them on one of those with an adapter in the middle to the smaller bolt size but that really does not make sense either because that would block off the oil flow ?

You could probably use them by taking one of the billet type oil filter mounts and making an insert for the center to fit the 1/2" thread. You would still have to figure out a way to get the oil through the center. Would be a lot easier to figure out if I could see it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.