Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Tiller Arm Seal Help Needed >

Tiller Arm Seal Help Needed

Notices

Tiller Arm Seal Help Needed

Old 10-31-2002, 06:17 PM
rhino

speedo tube goes to a pipe fitting machined in the housing then house again on inside

Old 10-31-2002, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rhino, I guess that would make a good seal and probably is not my leaker. Anyone ever have any trouble getting the y-pipe block-off plate to seal properly? I installed this last winter and don't remember a leaking problem before that. Can't believe that would leak... but?

BT
Old 10-31-2002, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

blue thunder trust me on this one i did same thing checked wires through plate,not it , bellows and boots nope,when looking at leak from inside of boat it leaked on lh side of steerarm. it was the upper steershaft seal. changed shafts ang seals now its dry.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:32 PM
Registered

Three more questions then:

1. Can I get the steering seal to leak by spraying water from a garden hose directly at it?

2. If one of the plugs already drilled to access the tiller arm bolt leaked, would the leak look the same as the steering seal leaking?

3. Anyone ever had the seal behind the transom plate leak?

As alway... mucho gracias,

BT

Old 11-01-2002, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 maybe but I thought you had determined that it is above the water line?

#2 same answer, that would definitly be above the water line wouldnt it?

#3 no but who knows. I would very much lean towards the shift boot.

it might not be a bad idea to be in the boat and somebody squirt the bajeeses out of it with the hose, even into the exhaust port to see if the block off plate is leaking.

Another place to check is the plastic water elbow inside (where the pump suction hose attaches), its held on with 2 1/4-20 bolts and has a gasket, could it be loose? Careful dont torque it to spec it will break the plastic.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:30 PM
Registered

Yeah Formula31, from pictures it looks like the seal area and plugs are above water line. Just a little paranoid from all I have read about the steering shaft seal. I'll check all reasonable to get at sealing joints by disassembly, and get my son to squirt the hose at all other suspect areas. If I am not happy with that, I'm gonna take transom assembly apart like (form31) originally suggested to ensure success. Just can't stand water in the bilge!! Call me anal retentive.

BT
Old 11-01-2002, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might get away with just removing the inner plate. After you get the steering stuff off and remove the water elbow and all the nuts, you might be able to get the inner plate out of the way without disturbing the outer so you can see better (it sometimes is a wiener to get off) The last one I did was actually 5200 on and I had to use jack to get it off.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Registered

Thanks formula31... I owe you a roll of film of naked bolsters!!

BT
Old 11-24-2002, 12:53 PM
Registered

Thought I would let you guys that helped me with this know the outcome. Using the method one of you suggested about spraying water on the gimbal housing area while looking for water inside the boat, turned up the water inlet gooseneck leaking. After disassembly I find a chunk missing from the gasket surface. Either corrosion or impact of some kind, not sure. Someone made a feable attempt at sealing with silicone. I built the surface up with cold weld compound, and feel with new gaskets, I'll be dry at last.

Thanks for all the help on this fellas,

BT
Old 11-24-2002, 07:16 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

American ingenuity at it's best!! Glad you found it..

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 11-24-2002 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Tiller Arm Seal Help Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.