Tiller Arm Seal Help Needed >

Tiller Arm Seal Help Needed

Notices

Tiller Arm Seal Help Needed

Old 10-29-2002, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiller Arm Seal Help Needed

I have a leak on my SB side, down the transom, which leaks about 5 gallons in 24hrs. You can see the drips to the right of the transom plate and low, when facing the transom. It leaks whether the engine is running or not. Have checked bellows, replaced exhaust blockoff plate oring, made sure speedo tubes were plugged. Still unable to locate problem. I suspect the problem to be the tiller arm seals. Can anyone give me insight into the procedure to repair this problem. I will probably do both sides since I have both engines and drives out of the boat now.

Any help is appreciated.

BT
Old 10-29-2002, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have the engines and drives off, I would remove the inner transom plate and pull the outer off ( after removing the bellows, shift cable and water elbow). Its a lot easier to get the tiller arm off then. Then you remove the upper steering shaft and lower swivel shaft and the gimbal ring. Make sure the steering shaft isnt grooved too bad from the seal, clean it well. Check the bearings (bushings) in the housing, there are 2, one upper that is blind. Change them if too much slop. I change them anyway when Im that far. It can be done without the special tools but its not fun. Somebody had a real good idea on how to get the upper bearing out but I dont remember what it was.

Last edited by formula31; 10-29-2002 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:56 PM
Registered

Had to replace the seals and shaft on my 29 PQ a few years ago but I didn't have the motors pulled out what a *****! It took all day to do it. I had a 88 Nova and it had a grease fitting for that seal I don't know why Merc does't use it any more!
Old 10-29-2002, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is the seal it will be leaking in around where the stearing arm is. Mine are both doing it but only when I beach the boat. If the water level is lower than the tiller arm than that is not the source of the water.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:52 PM
Registered

Thanks for the great info guys. Great point on the water level Tinker. Where in relation to the grease zerk is this seal located? Above, below and how much approx. I have the 1988 bravos with the zerk in the middle of the mercruiser sticker at the top of the gimbal housing. I would love for it not to be this this seal leaking. I took a quick look at it earlier today, and I think the steering arm may be above the water line, but I am unsure of the exact location of the seal vertically on the transom.

Form31.. I'd say if the bushing is blind, one would pack it with grease and drive a close tolerance mandrel into the ID, which would squirt out the bushing? Is that the way you remember? Kind of like a pilot bearing on a manual transmission auto.

Thanks again for the help fellas...

BT
Old 10-30-2002, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

just repaired same problem on my baja. it was the upper steershaft seals, had slight leak when sitting on swim platform.both shafts and seals where replaced now its dry.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Registered

Yup, that is how they did it without the tool. The seal is at the bottom of the gimbal housing or just above the gimbal ring. If that area is out of the water then thats not the problem. Another potential area is the packing around the tilt /trim wires above the u-joint bellows, although I have ever heard of that leaking. I have 88's too now and although I rebuilt this area I did not have a leak before.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:58 PM
Registered

After looking at some pictures, I think the tiller seal IS above the water line. Only thing I can think of now is what you said Formula31, the trim/tilt wires, or maybe the shifter bellows. Guess I'll have to do some detective work. You guys probably saved me from going on a wild goose chase and I really appreciate that. I have enough work to do on this beast without creating it!

Thanks,

BT
Old 10-30-2002, 08:34 PM
Registered

Shifter bellows would be way more likely than the tilt trim wires.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:03 PM
Registered

Anyone know what seals the factory speedo tube penetration in the transom? It appears to go through right above the shifter cable bellows. Can't find anything in my manual about it.

BT

Quick Reply: Tiller Arm Seal Help Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.