Bravo power trim electrical problem...? >

Bravo power trim electrical problem...?

Notices

Bravo power trim electrical problem...?

Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts
Default Bravo power trim electrical problem...?

A little help needed please.....
Boat hasn't been used for a while and I know the batteries are low. On the ramp, I tried to trim the drive up and I could hear a relay clicking but that's all, no pump. Backed her down the ramp and the engine fired up but only j u s t. Engine running fine, volt gauge moved to 13 volts with a few more revs. Drive still wouldn't move, only clicking from a relay.

Decided to give the boat a run anyway and after 5 minutes running with the drive tucked a little, I tried the trim again and she worked. Had a good run for 2 hours, all rev ranges but plenty between 3500-4000 and the trim worked perfectly.

Is it possibl the batteries were too low to activate the trim pump but could just turn the engine over? After some running and a bit of charge coming back to the batteries, she was fine. It's like there's a 'low voltage sensor' on the pump. Maybe it's just an electrical issue and it was a coincidence the problem cleared after a decent run. I don't know but I'm sure someone here will know all about it.

It's a 496ho and a Bravo 1 X, everything stock standard.

Than you, RR

Old 01-21-2019, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it cranked over the trim would of worked. Check connections sounds like like a bad one and when it warmed up it got better. It may never happen again.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have a test light keep it in the boat also a set of jumpers if your by yourself the get the light where you can see it. If it's not broke hard to fix it.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Could also be dirty contacts in the solenoid. I have one like that. Gonna replace solenoid for piece of mind. It takes me hitting the button several times to get it to go sometimes.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
Could also be dirty contacts in the solenoid. I have one like that. Gonna replace solenoid for piece of mind. It takes me hitting the button several times to get it to go sometimes.
Yep, the click you heard indicates the solenoid working. Due to corrosion. Saltwater app right? The contacts did not pass enough electrical current to your trim pump. Common problem. It will be hit/miss until it quits working. Either clean or replace your solenoid.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 178 Likes on 115 Posts

The question begging to be asked is "Does the up and down act the same?"
If both are same it's a wiring/connection /voltage related problem, if only the up or down most likely a solenoid related problem.
Remember
blue=up as in blue sky and
green=down as in grass on the ground.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
The question begging to be asked is "Does the up and down act the same?"
If both are same it's a wiring/connection /voltage related problem, if only the up or down most likely a solenoid related problem.
Remember
blue=up as in blue sky and
green=down as in grass on the ground.
Yep, and if you are replacing one, go ahead and replace the other one.
3 bolts hold the 2 of them in.

You could also have some corrosion/issue with the trim buttons and their connections. They can and do corrode too.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Thank you all for the good responses, along the lines of what I expected. I'll have a closer look tomorrow, cleaning terminals and back of the switches too. I'm not a great tool man but I can at least clean corrosion from terminals. Beyond that, I'll probably get the Merc dealer to check and replace solenoid as necessary.

Good point about working up AND down, didn't pay much attention because it was already down so I kept hitting 'up'. Something else to check tomorrow.

Thanks again, RR.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Thank you all for the good responses, along the lines of what I expected. I'll have a closer look tomorrow, cleaning terminals and back of the switches too. I'm not a great tool man but I can at least clean corrosion from terminals. Beyond that, I'll probably get the Merc dealer to check and replace solenoid as necessary.

Good point about working up AND down, didn't pay much attention because it was already down so I kept hitting 'up'. Something else to check tomorrow.

Thanks again, RR.

The solenoid crosses to a generic one most auto parts should carry in case your mechanic doesn't have one FYI
Old 01-21-2019, 08:08 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

condensation and or corrosion can cause this. Secondly make sure the ground for it is tight and very clean No corrosion period, Make sure the power wire is the same. Loose connections can do that as well. Also check the solenoid connections.

When stacked wires for the battery connections - Biggest laid down first to the smallest terminals stacked is how all that should be connected.. Just saying

Long periods of NON use of the trim is common for this to take place. And sometimes just checking what was mention above -- all of it making sure everything is good and a strong battery - one is good to go alot of times. If it keeps happening especially in short order, then I would change out the up and down solenoids .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.