Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Sea Strainer Water Pressure >

Sea Strainer Water Pressure

Notices

Sea Strainer Water Pressure

Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

I would leave the plumbing alone and put an electronically controlled valve before the intercooler, that is either boost referenced, rpm referenced, or intake temp referenced. Closed it dumps the water overboard, open flows through the intercooler. How ever you set it up, if it fails it should end up putting water through the intercooler.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 926 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
Are you carbed or Injected? Anything that introduces fuel above the intecooler will have that loaded up effect from off Idle . Especially after extended Idle.
I have a throttle body injected whipple engine in here now , what a sloppy pig that is off idle! Blows black smoke when you crack the throttle. Hind site
I would have replaced the intake with a port injected style to clean up the fueling.
I think you will have fuel condensing in the intercooler fins regardless.
Hell , just test it , bypass the intercooler water, do your normal planning procedure , and see if it helps having a dry warm intercooler core.
I dont think you will gain anything , but Ive been wrong before.
509ci with a 3.3l Whipple. 525 Whipple kit with other work done to it. Never blew black smoke but would blow fuel out the exhaust after restarting after idling for a long time, into marina etc. I can power right through the loaded up effect when planing but I know it shouldn’t be like that. Transom always gets sooted up pretty nasty too. Weird thing is when I’d put a .5” smaller pulley on sometimes it’d be a pita to start, like it was flooded all the time. Thinking somehow they’re related. The more load on the motor (bigger prop, more diameter) the worse the loading up was.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Are you running the 525 controller
Old 02-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Registered

Pcm555, Mercury Motorola computer
Old 02-19-2019, 03:34 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
I’m replumbing my setup a bit and would like to try and get a little info/experience for reference before I buy all the required parts and pieces. I’m mainly doing this to removed my intercooler from being constantly fed from the two stage pump. Right now lower feeds Hardin big strainer, to two stage pump, then one stage to motor cooling and one stage to intercooler.

How im thinking of replumbing:
lower to strainer,
strainer to single stage pump to feed motor.
1” npt 10psi pressure relief valve off of other strainer port, then to intercooler. So in theory once pressure in strainer exceeds 10psi then the intercooler gets water.

So my question is will enough pressure build up in the strainer to open the PRV with the normal pump still pulling water out of it? At what point would it get to that ppessure? Ideally it’d be when planing, 10-15mph.

I was was thinking of buying the pressure relief valve and attaching to the strainer and running a hose from it out of the engine comp to where I could see if/when water begins to flow out. For these testing purposes would it cause damage not to have water running through the intercooler? I could try and get out early her in WI when the water and air is still cold.

Thanks guys
It would be interesting to see, but my thinking is that you wouldn't have much if any pressure at the strainer since its on the suction side of the pump. You might have a little back pressure when running down the lake but I don't think it would be enough to open a 10 PSI relief valve. Best of luck!
Old 02-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Pcm555, Mercury Motorola computer
Whipple tunes are very conservative ( meaning fat, rich ) which results in the transom mess.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Whipple tunes are very conservative ( meaning fat, rich ) which results in the transom mess.
I did email Dustin about that. The only way to remedy would be to install a wide band air fuel monitor in port header.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive noticed that the smaller pulley does cause harder starting , I think the increased Blower speed does push more fuel through the intercooler.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happend when put only a smaller pulley on an SCi engine with PCM555???And nothing other changes like reprogramming!!
Anyone knows?
Michael
Old 02-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The ECM is set up with multipliers in the Fuel and Spark Tables , it should compensate for the increased boost , by reading MAP and Knock Values.
Better be careful! The best thing to do is Email Whipple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.