7.4 mpi timing issues >

7.4 mpi timing issues

Notices

7.4 mpi timing issues

Old 03-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.4 mpi timing issues

Hi , this one is for you EFI gurus Im involved with a 7.4 MPI gen VI that was initially reported to be running fine. the other inboard was removed due to a mechanical failure and my buddy thought it would be a good time to freshen up both After the rebuild the "good" motor only lasted a few hours before detonation hurt a piston, this is where I come in. It was clearly suffering from massive blowbye . I pulled the motor and sent it back to the same machine shop , they put a piston in it, ran it on the dyno with a carb and mechanical distributor and it made 315hp I suggested to put MPI and ecm on and rerun it. It would only make 275 hp Swapped ECM from other motor,same output. Hooked up my scanner with engine running ,it confirmed that timing was advancing but not enough (both ECMs) double checked with a timing light.
no codes,new distributor module, fresh gas,fuel press at spec Moving the distributor will make more HP but base timing will be way off and Im wondering if the first mechanic "bummped" the timing to make it run correctly??? any suggestions, tests I missed? Thanks for listening, any help is welcomed , cort
Old 03-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 399 Likes on 147 Posts

Are you running the Merc. MPI system ? If so you have to put the computer in base timing mode to set timing you need a Rinda tool to put the computer in base timing. Regards Dan
Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Registered

thanks Dan, Yes using the Rinda and base timing mode. Just cant get enough timing from the ECM....and had a few sets of eyes verify lol
Old 03-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by troc
Hi , this one is for you EFI gurus Im involved with a 7.4 MPI gen VI

After the rebuild the "good" motor only lasted a few hours before detonation hurt a piston,

It was clearly suffering from massive blowbye .
What signs are there for blow by?
If it was only one piston hurt and the others looked fine then its one fuel injector. Loosing one injector means you lost 1/8 total hp and if others are having some issues then more loss.
Have the injectors been cleaned and flow tested?
How is the fuel pressure?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

As an aside what is the total timing your are seeing under load?

and at what rpm?

What is the base timing set to?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:12 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

you did put the scan tool in service mode ?? for setting and checking the timing Im just checking
Old 03-20-2019, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What year / model is the 7.4L ? ... The L29 design intake plenum or the 454/502 design intake plenum/manifold....Sort of thinking it may also be an air intake design difference between a "good carb setup" vs an EFI plenum type used for HP ratings shown...,
https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/boa...marine-engines
Old 03-20-2019, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

How much timing are you getting? Some of those 7.4s did not have much timing in them from the factory
Old 03-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Registered

yes ,fuel pressure was 42 psi , known good set of injectors swapped into manifold , the timing wont advance enough to make any real hp, I am starting to wonder if my buddy mechanic advanced the distributor to try and get the boat to run? right now it wont make enough power to hurt itself on the dyno very puzzling?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Registered

yes sir with my rinda scanner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.