Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need advice stat- filled block with water! >

Need advice stat- filled block with water!

Notices

Need advice stat- filled block with water!

Old 04-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Towed my hatteras 2 miles with a jetski early November. 45 degrees light drizzle. Seadoos dont get 13k sportfish moving very fast.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

So I finally got my boat back last weekend and wanted to give an update after all the advice and condolences given here by you gentlemen on OSO. It took a lot longer than forecast as these things often do, and there were some complications along the way, but the silver lining is that (knock wood) the motors are now running a lot stronger than last summer and several other issues have been addressed along the way. Some details of the journey: The replacement bare block we found turned out to be bored 30 over so the starboard motor is now a 509. Cooling was simplified by replacing the hp500 t-stats with stainless housings & no bypass. Senders were added so I now have working fuel pressure gauges again. Motors & drives got painted. The motors are MUCH easier to get started now and aren't dying constantly when cold. With my 26p 4 blade bravo props she ran a bit over 5000 RPM showing 71 on my phone's GPS app last weekend, which im happy with (last year when these motors were put in they fell on their face and ran out of steam by 4700).

The one issue I've still been working out is that the motors (particularly the unrebuilt port motor) were still bogging down and at times backfiring when trying to get up on plane, though once up on plane they run fine. I was thinking it must be a carb issue but I replaced the old coils and that seems to have significantly minimized the issue, so im going to do the caps and rotors next to see if that totally resolves it. While trying to work it out I did break out a vacuum gauge and adjusted the idle but I could only get them up to 10 inches of vacuum. Does this sound way too low? The tune of the carbs is still an unknown factor for me, I really dont know if they were setup right when installed last year so this is the last thing still on my list to verify. Well there will always be more stuff on the "boat todo list" lol. But in any case, I'll be out boating this weekend!

Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Jumped in on this thread way to late. But I know your pain. I had my boat winterized by a shop in 2017. spring of 2018 I fired up my motors to get ready for the season and had oil and water everywhere. Culprit one cracked block. Both motors were taken out and one block was replaced. Took the opportunity to have what I thought was a good shop do extra work and add some extra hp parts. didn't get boat back at all last season until the end. it was winterized went to get it ready for spring noticed it sounded like I had a lifter tick. Took it to another shop who I found thanks to guys on here, the brand new motor with less then five hours on it had 2 lobes on the cam sheered off. Yay me...... So i just purchased to lightly used way more power motors from sick stinger and awaiting there arrival. hoping to actually use the boat once this year. Its been way to long. All because I was in a hurry and thought I could trust a shop to winterize my motors. I later found out that the original motor that cracked was because it was never winterized.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Registered

We boaters are gluttons for punishment. But when things finally work out its all worthwhile. Good luck with the motors from Mike, what are you putting in there? Re your motor never got winterized, its probably more hassle than its worth but if you can prove it they should be paying the bill.
Originally Posted by Smoke eater
Jumped in on this thread way to late. But I know your pain. I had my boat winterized by a shop in 2017. spring of 2018 I fired up my motors to get ready for the season and had oil and water everywhere. Culprit one cracked block. Both motors were taken out and one block was replaced. Took the opportunity to have what I thought was a good shop do extra work and add some extra hp parts. didn't get boat back at all last season until the end. it was winterized went to get it ready for spring noticed it sounded like I had a lifter tick. Took it to another shop who I found thanks to guys on here, the brand new motor with less then five hours on it had 2 lobes on the cam sheered off. Yay me...... So i just purchased to lightly used way more power motors from sick stinger and awaiting there arrival. hoping to actually use the boat once this year. Its been way to long. All because I was in a hurry and thought I could trust a shop to winterize my motors. I later found out that the original motor that cracked was because it was never winterized.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Yea trying to prove anything will be almost impossible. Ive thought about it, especially after my new mechanic said that they were probable the cause of this other motor failure that i experienced this year. But even in his words trying to prove anything will be next to impossible. So on to bigger and better things, just hope to get out this year. Last year I should've just went with my gut and bought this other set of motors from mike. But learned my lesson again. So this time I bout a set of 489's from him they were just shipped yesterday eagerly awaiting them. Have some more work that needs to get done on the boat just hope it gets done in time.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 798 Likes on 377 Posts

Your setup must be different than ours. If our water is left on it simply fills up the strainer and comes out the drive...the water connection at the transom assembly is lower than t stat and engine block.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Registered

When I flush the motors I connect the hose in the bilge and close the seacock valve so the only way for the water to flow is through the block and out the exhaust
Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Your setup must be different than ours. If our water is left on it simply fills up the strainer and comes out the drive...the water connection at the transom assembly is lower than t stat and engine block.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that your back in the water. I hadn't heard from you after we talked back in April.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gofastboater
Glad to hear that your back in the water. I hadn't heard from you after we talked back in April.
Yeah things went slower than planned as often happens. Will you be getting yours on the water this year?