Valve guide clearance question >

Valve guide clearance question

Notices

Valve guide clearance question

Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 441 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache

there is one ford guy with pretty good power on here think it's in a cigarette.
The one I'm thinking of was a 41 Velocity with 600ci bbf with psi blowers.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
if you are running the MKVIII fan then yes you are moving as much as possible. they move a ton of air no doubt. some of the guys that work on radiator and heat load testing did some tests for NASCAR and others and found that the black paint raised the amount of heat removed. most guys get by with leaving them aluminum because they have more cooling than they need so the difference would not be noticed. is this a single or double pass radiator? btw, you can get a rattle can of paint for bbq's that will hold up to the heat and not build thick and sticks to the aluminum well.
single pass radiator
Old 04-17-2019, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
The one I'm thinking of was a 41 Velocity with 600ci bbf with psi blowers.
very cool. One I was thinking of had na motors approaching 900hp
Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 PM
Registered

Here is the thread on his build. Not sure if he ever finished it. It is a good read, long read. 41 Upgrades
Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 928 Likes on 337 Posts

let me preface this and say that I am not a ford guy (even though I have a 65 mustang, among other cars). but a problem is a problem and overheating is overheating no matter the brand. when you say it runs to the hot side is this in traffic, idling, or running hard? if any thing other than running hard it does not matter if it is 150 hp or 2000 hp because in traffic it is not making much power no matter what it is capable of. you have a fan that moves a ton of air so we can discount air flow unless there is some blockage. you have the biggest radiator you can fit (what is the car? looks like a fox body or whatever they call the next gen) either way you are out of real estate so the only other thing is flow rate of the pump. is it under driven? if so you may not be moving enough coolant at lower speeds. what are you running for coolant? with the air flow of that fan there is no reason to not find a way to keep it cool. I have that same fan on my test stand and the engine drops 50 rpm from the alternator load when it turns on. would love to find a fan that moves that much air but doesnt take 50 hp to power it.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Registered

here is a good read, it deals with an LS based motor but the principles are the same.
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

let me preface this and say that I am not a ford guy (even though I have a 65 mustang, among other cars). but a problem is a problem and overheating is overheating no matter the brand. when you say it runs to the hot side is this in traffic, idling, or running hard? if any thing other than running hard it does not matter if it is 150 hp or 2000 hp because in traffic it is not making much power no matter what it is capable of. you have a fan that moves a ton of air so we can discount air flow unless there is some blockage. you have the biggest radiator you can fit (what is the car? looks like a fox body or whatever they call the next gen) either way you are out of real estate so the only other thing is flow rate of the pump. is it under driven? if so you may not be moving enough coolant at lower speeds. what are you running for coolant? with the air flow of that fan there is no reason to not find a way to keep it cool. I have that same fan on my test stand and the engine drops 50 rpm from the alternator load when it turns on. would love to find a fan that moves that much air but doesnt take 50 hp to power it.
50hp to run a fan? Lol
Old 04-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache

50hp to run a fan? Lol
that is a joke, but if you ever heard one start you would know what i mean. they pull almost 100 amps on start up.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 AM
Registered

When I say it runs hot is when the outside air temps are 85-90*+. It runs hot for where I would like it to run but the temps are still in the safe zone. It is usually fine when car is moving. Idle is the killer, Black car in the sun. The radiator is blocked with a very large 4" intercooler and 2 transmission coolers, oh and a small p/s cooler. One of the problems is the front opening in the car is very small, Fox body Mustang. The fan works great but there is quite a bit of restriction on air flow. All the heat under the hood doesn't have anywhere to go. I opened up the lower valance of the car. It flows a ton more air than the factory setup. I also have a heat sink oil cooler mounted to where the front inner bumper used to be. It isn't blocking airflow but i'm sure it does give a little heat off.

I'm running an electric water pump than flows more at low rpm's than the factory pump, 55gpm at idle. I tried just about every pump/pulley combination and have the car dialed in the best as of now. Also added Redline water wetter, tried different coolant/water percentages etc.It is what it is.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Registered

that's the problem with a car that was engineered around a 250hp engine. you run out of room quick when you add stuff. probably no room in the front but maybe add a pusher fan to the help airflow at low speeds? I build a lot of hot rods (mostly street driven with moderate power) so I understand trying to fit bigger radiators, etc into a spot made for a radiator that cooled a 100 hp six cyl. it sounds like it stays around or under 200 so it is not running away with heat. most new cars run 210 to 220 and dont melt down so may not be worth worrying too much about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.