Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Valve guide clearance question >

Valve guide clearance question

Notices

Valve guide clearance question

Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Prop the rear of the hood up to let hot air out? Get more flow?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,182 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Anyone like me that worked on carb cars back with Tyrannosaurus Rex's and Pterodactyls ?

Anyway, dumb mid/late 70's cars had very low/retarded timing and could and did over heat very easily. Changed initial and rest of timing on many cars and wallah.....idle till the cows came home and watched everyone else overheat.

This is how I got performance BBC; in small cars to run fine fine in traffic...yes, even in Fox Bodies...oh wait, what ? LOl.

Anyway, amazing how even a handful of degree in ign timing can reduce idle and low speed coolant temp.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 441 Likes on 262 Posts

Yes I thought about propping the hood open but just don't like the look. I installed a cowl a few years back to help with air flow plus needed the added height for intake and elbow.

I would have to check my cal but if my memory is correct I have 25* at idle- 950-1000rpm (with idle stabilization on 20-30* to control rpm).
Old 04-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 928 Likes on 337 Posts

dont know if it is possible with the computer you are running but could you set it up to advance the timing a few below a set rpm if the temp goes above a certain point. that is the way the old TCS (transmission controlled spark) system worked on early '70's cars. in high gear and/or above a set temp it would activate the vacuum advance to raise timing. in high gear it was for lower emissions and better economy and the temp would advance it so at idle if it got hot the added timing would help to cool it down.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 441 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
dont know if it is possible with the computer you are running but could you set it up to advance the timing a few below a set rpm if the temp goes above a certain point. that is the way the old TCS (transmission controlled spark) system worked on early '70's cars. in high gear and/or above a set temp it would activate the vacuum advance to raise timing. in high gear it was for lower emissions and better economy and the temp would advance it so at idle if it got hot the added timing would help to cool it down.
It sure can!! Good idea! I use the aux timing tables to accomplish that. I was mainly using the extra tables as safeties for hot air temps, lean a/f, lower ethanol content etc.