496 Mag Ho Spark Plug Wires >

496 Mag Ho Spark Plug Wires

Notices

496 Mag Ho Spark Plug Wires

Old 04-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Mag Ho Spark Plug Wires

Hello everyone, Hope you can help me with my spark plug wires. I see there have been a number of threads on this subject but I have yet to get a good answer. Some have mentioned they contacted Teague Custom Marine and they were able to help them get the correct plug wires. I contacted Teague today and I was told they do not have any spark plug wires for the 496 and I would have to go direct to Merc for these. I have seen MSD 31489 or BWD Super Mag CH 869 may work but I am yet to confirm that. Anyone have any personal experience on what would work before I drop the $500 and get the OEM plug wires. I believe the issue is the angle of the spark plug end. I believe the OEM are 135 degrees while the aftermarket are 90 degrees and of course the length. My long plug wires need to be 30". Thank you all in advance.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

BUP has wires from the oem supplier and some Aftermarket.

Yes, you can get the one's from OEM supplier from BUP for under $100.00 with separators and so forth.

Last edited by SB; 04-22-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Not to get into a long story here but will down the road. The issue with the spark plug wires is RFI and EMI from the OEM and less expensive ones. I have all new sets made BY MOROSO here in the USA. Matter of fact we even further made them better just recently because we went to an upgraded terminal / connection and that costs more but I kept the price the same on my end. Everything about the spark plug wires are all made here in the USA including Moroso makes their own wire itself. There is only 3 companies that do this. Besides Moroso -- Standard is another one whom make their own inner wire.. Every other spark plug wire brand sellers whom puts together their own sets buys the inner wire from Moroso or the other 2 who manu that inner wire. Again there is only 3 companies whom do this.

MSD sources their wires from CHINA fyi and one can take it from there and FWIW.

MOROSO and I have been working together for marine products. Look down the road for these marine parts and the name of these products will be called MOROSO MARINE. Yes little old me are behind all these products coming from MOROSO inwhich will be all made here in the USA. I source nothing outside the USA - well 2 other things currently come from CANADA, Tools and ZINCs.

Merc wants a ton of coin for their sub par spark plug wire sets. I am less than half the price for the 496 wires and less for other applications as well. We will have a full line of wires for all gas side marine engines.

Moroso is very well known for performance and a huge line of oiling products - from pans to oil pumps to dry sumps and a ton more. They have really nice pulleys and brackets as well

Last edited by BUP; 04-22-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Moroso makes killer wires. cool !

I thought you also had the wire sets from the OE manufacture? Some even said Delco or crusader or something of the sort for under $100 ?

Last edited by SB; 04-22-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:29 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Priceless information 😎 Would you carry 8MM wires for Volvo SB 350’s ?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:18 PM
BUP
Banned

Volvo -- indmar -- Mercruiser -- Merc Racing - ILmor - Raptor - LS - LSA and so on marine wires - these are specially made for marine engines and speced for the lowest RFI and EMI.

I would need to know year model and the engine model itself along with which Ignition set up , Most wires are going to be 8 mm and some 8 .65 mm

2 versions of spark plug wires --- 40 OHM s per ft and Sleeved and 350 OHM s per ft NOT sleeved. The OEM most wires are 500 to 900 OHMs per ft and all NON sleeved and most are 7 mm wires.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:12 AM
Registered

Thank you for your help and information. How do I contact you and order a set for my 496?
Old 04-23-2019, 12:08 PM
BUP
Banned

Thanks OSO PM sent to you
Old 01-02-2020, 10:05 AM
Registered

BUP, can you send a link for the plug wires? I'd like to get a new set and don't want to dish out the $$$ that Merc wants for them
Old 01-02-2020, 11:15 AM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by Samuelj
BUP, can you send a link for the plug wires? I'd like to get a new set and don't want to dish out the $$$ that Merc wants for them

Thanks --- You are more than welcome to call me if you like.

A tip for the 496 OEM stock wires is they need to be changed out at some point in time because the boots at the spark plugs do not hold up down the road. Voltage / spark leaks thru the boots and or splits the boot. This can cause PCM 555 failure. NO bull cause I see this from PCM repair. I see this a lot currently with 496 engines using 14 and older spark plug wires. Anyways wanted to pass that along. Also Taylor wires are not a good choice for any 496 marine engine actually I would not use them for any Marine efi engine.

if need contact

eight

one

six

five

seven

seven

two

Thanks as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.