Yanmar diesels. More power! >

Yanmar diesels. More power!

Notices

Yanmar diesels. More power!

Old 05-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yanmar diesels. More power!

So I got the new boat home and had a few days of running her around. She's outfitted with 480HP Yanmar diesels and Arneson #8's. I'm wondering if there are any simple performance mods available for them. I'm not real familiar with diesels in general. I don't want to get into bigger turbos or serious work. I'm thinking bigger injectors, more boost, a tuner? Really don't know where to start. I have Google searched but didn't come up with much. She's a Hustler 40 classic
Old 10-14-2021, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still have her? Do anything with the Yanmars?
Old 10-14-2021, 11:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jetskidrewski
Still have her? Do anything with the Yanmars?
I still have her, she even made it through a divorce. Haven't been able to do much performance wise with all the ECU limits. I'm actually waiting on a call back from the guy that knows how to make more power out of the Yanmars. I'm kicking around the idea of joining the OPA race circuit. I need to squeeze 10 MPH out of her, I say another 200 horse would put me close.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tmaddox4x4:
resurrected (10-15-2021), speicher lane (10-25-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:09 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How many hours have you put on the Yanmars? Have you had any issues with them?
Old 10-24-2021, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm very curious to hear what you find out. The 480's are electronic engines then?
Old 10-24-2021, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jetskidrewski
I'm very curious to hear what you find out. The 480's are electronic engines then?
The injection pumps have electric governors and electric timing. The governor uses a solenoid instead of springs and weights to control the fuel rack. The opposite end of the pump has adjustable timing that uses two solenoids to control oil flow across a helix. It's an Zexel pump based off a Bosch H pump with a Yanmar twist. I may have found a company in Iceland that builds a stand alone ECU for this style pump. Fingers crossed 🤞
Old 10-24-2021, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 396 Likes on 110 Posts

In Finland is company that sell adjustable box between injection pump and ecu. I have put few of them to trucks. It works very well and can be swiched off, half power increase and full power, inside box are some trimmer potentiometer that adjust quantity. Timing can’t adjust with this box but often its not necessary.
The following users liked this post:
mcollinstn (10-24-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 802 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by ksalmine
In Finland is company that sell adjustable box between injection pump and ecu. I have put few of them to trucks. It works very well and can be swiched off, half power increase and full power, inside box are some trimmer potentiometer that adjust quantity. Timing can’t adjust with this box but often its not necessary.

What's the name of the Company? website Link?
Old 10-25-2021, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 396 Likes on 110 Posts

It's Pirelex Oy, good guy to fix control units and their power box is good stuff. I don't know his english skills but you can try, if he doesn't answer to you I can convay contact request.
Pirelex Yhteystiedot