Mercury 525 seawater pump >

Mercury 525 seawater pump

Notices

Mercury 525 seawater pump

Old 06-30-2019, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury 525 seawater pump

Apparently I need to change the oil in the reservoir of my seawater pump. Can someone tell me how to do that please? Do I just remove the lower plug to drain and fill from the top hole, or remove the top plate and fill from there?
Old 06-30-2019, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Remove the top and suck it out. I usually do it while I have the vacuum pump there changing the engine oil. Refill with with the same fluid you run in your drive.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Registered

I just looked closely at my seawater pump, instead of pictures online. My seawater pump has a fuel pump attached to the top on it, and only on plug on the side. I'm assuming that plug is the fill plug? How do I drain the old oil out? Do I just dump it out when I install a new impeller?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I've had the boat for 3 years and just found out about the required fluid change in the seawater pump.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

I had a pair of these that I sold, I dilled and tapped a 1/4 npt hole in the bottom and put the plug in, this way you just remove the drain plug and refill from the upper plug,
Old 07-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Registered

Thanks F2 but I only have one plug on the side. Any ideas? I'm assuming it's a fill plug because it's near the upper portion of the housing.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Installing a drain plug is the best way to do this service. Next best way is to completely remove the pump every season then you can r&r the impeller housing, impeller, and the lube in the reservoir on a bench. Use drive lube in the reservoir. On 525/600/700 it is extremely important to consistently run a fresh impeller and housing for 100% water flow, not water pressure, to keep the headers as cool as possible for longest possible header service life.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 07-05-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes56
Thanks F2 but I only have one plug on the side. Any ideas? I'm assuming it's a fill plug because it's near the upper portion of the housing.
suck it out with a turkey baster.........lol........if you don't install the drain plug
Old 07-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Registered

Ok thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:47 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a good size hospital syringe, with some clear tubing attached to the end. I fish the tubing into the plug hole suck out as much fluid as I can. Then, switch the clear tubing to a fresh piece and fill syringe with gear lube and push in to fill. Kinda tricky, to fill with one hand and have plug ready to go in the other very quickly. Of note, when you pull the plug, its got like 2 threads, so very short. Have bucket or towels underneath as very thin gas laden gear oil will come flowing out. Its the fuel contamination in the pump fluid that happens as to why it must be changed. The gear lube integrity gets compromised... Good Luck!