Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down >

Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down

Notices

Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down

Old 07-28-2019, 07:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

R&R= Remove and replace I too agree you might want to check all your fuel lines for collapsing, vent lines as well. He!! There is even a lady bug issue on one of the threads getting into the vent causing trouble. You may be on to something there.....

Last edited by SUPERSTITIOUS; 07-28-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div style="text-align:left;"></div>
Old 07-28-2019, 09:17 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

So I don't have to type it again, I am quoting
Originally Posted by SB
If you are going to be diagnosing and repairing yourself you need to start with the basics.

Get a inline sealed spark tester and fuel psi tester. These should always be performed first and then computer scanned for codes.

Fuel psi testers can be found locally or online for under $40. Free loaner from Autozone too. Not enough people have these. There are different fuel psi values for these motors depending on year and engine serial #. So ask here for values when you go to check.

This type spark tester - most all parts stores have them. Everyone should have on in there tool box. Only $10-$15.
Also Look online to get visual idea (if there is spark) what is weak (dim spark) vs strong (bright)spark.
Lisle 20610 Inline Spark Tester
by Lisle
Link: http://a.co/93Ha5YY

​​​​​​​
Old 07-28-2019, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Tank a 5 gallon gas can and a outboard motor fuel line. Cut the ends off the outboard line set and stick one end inside the can and attach the other to the fuel filter.

To test fuel pressure go to the local auto parts store and get a loaner from them
Thanks except mine is an Inboard/outboard motor. Is there an easy way to do that? Do mechanics ever do that to troubleshoot fuel problems?
Old 07-28-2019, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd21

Thanks except mine is an Inboard/outboard motor. Is there an easy way to do that? Do mechanics ever do that to troubleshoot fuel problems?
I know its an I/O and yes Mech do this quite often. The reason you want an outboard motor hose is so it has the pump ball on it. You can do it without the pump ball, but then you have to let the fuel pump suck it all the way and then bleed air if anything other then a carb.

You can stick a plain gass line in the 5 gal container and the pump will do the trick, just takes a bit. The pump ball makes it easier.

Can also just get a pump ball and use regular gas line between it
Old 07-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

170* Temp seems alittle high , It may be going into guardian mode after a while on the water . Is there any codes in the ECM , freeze frames or history?
Very seldom will an engine slow down after running good , but still run fine? With out it being done by the ECM .
Old 07-28-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
170* Temp seems alittle high , It may be going into guardian mode after a while on the water . Is there any codes in the ECM , freeze frames or history?
Very seldom will an engine slow down after running good , but still run fine? With out it being done by the ECM .
170* on the gauge is normal for a 7.4 mpi. They have 165* T Stats. There is no guardian mode on them.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
170* on the gauge is normal for a 7.4 mpi. They have 165* T Stats. There is no guardian mode on them.
Yeah I was going to say when I had it commissioned in the spring the mechanic told me that 170 is good (sometimes it shows around 165). He told me sometimes when running for a long time it could go higher than 170 halfway between 170 and 220 but wouldn’t let it go any higher than that. He also said if it goes beyond 220 that triggers the alarm.

I dont know if this could be related when there has been talk of it sucking air since I’ve had this boat I hear that sound of sucking air like a vacuum, is that normal for this engine? I just thought it was how it supposed to sound but when I run the bilge blower I also get a squeaky sound when I start it but then I turn it off and restart it and its normal. This could be completely different systems and unrelated but just wondering since there was a mention of sucking air in the fuel system and that bilge sound unless that means there’s some type of air leak?

Scott

Last edited by Scottd21; 07-28-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

The alarm should go off at around 195* and it should never get that hot unless there is a problem.
The air sucking sound is pretty normal. Its just the air getting sucked into the flame arrestor and the sound may fluctuate some as the IAC adjusts the air flow at idle.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
The alarm should go off at around 195* and it should never get that hot unless there is a problem.
The air sucking sound is pretty normal. Its just the air getting sucked into the flame arrestor and the sound may fluctuate some as the IAC adjusts the air flow at idle.
I met with the mechanics today and spoke to them for a while. First of all they told me the first things that they did was clean the fuel pickup and anti siphon valve (they did clear some gonk out of it) but it didn’t fix issue.

They did hook up a fuel pressure gauge and do a measurement when the issue manifested and found there was no fuel pressure change. They also said the computer recording did not throw any code and everything looked normal thats why they were having difficulty identifying. They said when they’re running it at 4000 RPM the issue did not occur (it’s only occurring at about 3000 to 3500 RPM which is the sweet spot for the boat). They did suggest (before I did) hooking up a fuel tank and they also have what they call a boat-in-a-box which lets them hookup to the boats wiring to see if there’s an electrical issue. They also mentioned the possibility of a TPS (throttle position sensor) issue, but that costs $1,400 to replace so they are going to test with portable tank and boat-in-a-box first.

I assume replacing the ECM would be costly too (if the part is even available). One thing I never thought to try was to turn engine off for a minute when it does occur. If it is related to the computer but its fixing itself every time I take the boat out perhaps powering it down and letting electricity dissipate out of it would help.

Thank you,

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.