Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down >

Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down

Notices

Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down

Old 07-31-2019, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I'd find a new marine tech. The part # they gave you is for the entire throttle body.
The TPS is clearly listed as a separate part https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...31918/2705/100
yes I see what your saying! Great observation thank you! That’s good I can just replace that if we need to.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I had a '99 Crownline with a 7.4L MPI that did something similar (not exactly, but close to your symptoms) and it ended up being the ECM. Merc replaced it at no cost even though it was out of warranty (replaced in 2003).
hey that’s great to know. During troubleshooting did the bad ECM throw any error codes? I guess if that’s not working correctly anything is suspect.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
Have you ran boat with hatch open when this problem occurs? Sometimes a minor exhaust leak can add enough carbon dioxide to engine compartment to alter performance , but not shut down engine. Not always visible. Good luck.
I have not tried that. Someone also suggested taking the engine cover off too if it’s a thermal issue. It’s worth a shot. Thanks
Old 07-31-2019, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd21

hey that’s great to know. During troubleshooting did the bad ECM throw any error codes? I guess if that’s not working correctly anything is suspect.
I don't remember. All I know is a buddy of mine was a Merc tech at a local boat dealer and I told him what it was doing. He called Merc and they said it was a known problem with some of the ECM's on the 7.4L MPI's and they wanted the old ECM shipped to them and they shipped a new one at no charge.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,439 Posts

you cant just replace the TPSensor it has pivot points that allow for adjustment, it needs to be calibrated with a scanner or laptop....and as stated find another marine Tech

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-31-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

If there is a possibility that the ECM is acting up when it gets hot I would get a can of Freeze it Spray and when it acts up try cooling off the ECM and see what happens. That is almost what it sounds like is happening even though you are not getting any codes.

Not sure where you can find it local, maybe a 2-way radio shop.
https://www.crcindustries.com/produc...-oz-14086.html
Old 07-31-2019, 11:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I don't remember. All I know is a buddy of mine was a Merc tech at a local boat dealer and I told him what it was doing. He called Merc and they said it was a known problem with some of the ECM's on the 7.4L MPI's and they wanted the old ECM shipped to them and they shipped a new one at no charge.
Actually you have the same exact ECM chip (861720T2) that I have! I found an old post that you made when you were having the issue where you posted that number and the issue was similar. At 4000 rpm it was fine. I don’t have the gas smell issue but it’s definitely very similar in that it’s cutting Rpms.

I did call Mercury unfortunately they don’t have the part (they stopped making MEFI around same time you had issue) but they did point me to a third party that rebuilds ecms.

I think we might be on to something here I appreciate your info.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had exactly the same problem on a 1999 7.4 in a baja. After searching fuel pressure, tps, etc... it turned out that my exhaust manifolds and risers were clogged with rust. My fault for not changing them every couple years. Installed new manifolds and risers and it ran perfect. Next time it looses power,shoot a heat gun on the risers and if it’s anything like mine they will be extremely hot. Also when it looses power, let it idle for a while to allow the manifolds to cool then then throttle up and see how it runs. Again, if it’s like mine it will run fine until the manifolds heat up. Good luck
Old 07-31-2019, 12:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Interesting....good thread !
Old 07-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bahaboy252
I had exactly the same problem on a 1999 7.4 in a baja. After searching fuel pressure, tps, etc... it turned out that my exhaust manifolds and risers were clogged with rust. My fault for not changing them every couple years. Installed new manifolds and risers and it ran perfect. Next time it looses power,shoot a heat gun on the risers and if it’s anything like mine they will be extremely hot. Also when it looses power, let it idle for a while to allow the manifolds to cool then then throttle up and see how it runs. Again, if it’s like mine it will run fine until the manifolds heat up. Good luck
Did yours not occur at higher RPMs like 4000 do you know? That’s what makes me think it’s more of a sensor/computer issue as if it were getting hot at 3100 it most surely would get hot at 4000.

Frustrating that you both had same issue but different causes. I think I’m going to have them check those other things before replacing ECU though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.