Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Whipple Charger or Vortech Supercharger >

Whipple Charger or Vortech Supercharger

Notices

Whipple Charger or Vortech Supercharger

Old 11-05-2002, 09:37 PM
Donzi22zx

Default Whipple Charger or Vortech Supercharger

I was wondering wich charger is better for a 454mag EFI. Which makes more power and top end speed. My boat is a 99 Donzi 22ZX that has already run a best of 74.1 on GPS. I just added IMCO POWERFLOW manifolds and s/s risers and a MSD 62M, but have not run the boat yet because of cold weather. I also plan on installing a short runner EFI intake and recalibrated computer. I know I am reaching the speed limit of my hull (80mph) they tell me, but I want a blower for acceleration and a little more top end. please advise Thanks Bill

Old 11-06-2002, 07:45 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want acceleration then in my opinion (plus I have one) a Whipple is faster off the line. A Vortech takes a little longer to spool up. My boat (24 Baja Outlaw) can keep up with a ski boat if I want off the line. Also keep in mind the packaging of each kit. They are very different so measure carefully and buy the one that also fits your engine compartment the best.

They are also having a closeout on the EFI Whipple kit for your engine. Give Vincent a call at 559-442-1261. I believe the kit is discounted around $800.00
Old 11-06-2002, 09:29 AM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Whipple it! Whipple it good! Dustin and Co. know their chit and turn out a first rate product and customer service.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:36 AM
Registered

If you are running 74 GPS now, then, when you add the supercharger to it, you will be at, or depending upon how you run it (how much boost), above the 80 MPH
Old 11-06-2002, 08:35 PM
1975 X-18 Donzi, Arneson
Platinum Member

Whipple, Vortech, and Procharger all make good unit's.
I have a Procharger and like it. They were the only ones able or willing to figure out how to fit a large enough blower under my hatch. Its been great. However, Procharger is not the easiest to get someone on the phone, and when you do you have to feel them out to see if you are talking to someone who is familiar with your set-up.
Vortech seams to make as nice or better setups but they are even harder to get a hold of.
Whipple just didn't make a set-up for me. It seams easy to get his attention on the net so the phone must be the same.

Vortech and Procharger build power slower then whipple.
But at cruise 3500-4000 do you realy need to be building boost?

Last edited by GEOO; 11-06-2002 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:43 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

"Procharger is not the easiest to get someone on the phone, and when you do you have to feel them out to see if you are talking to someone who is familiar with your set-up."

You can say that again George,
After waiting on hold forever, Giving out serial numbers etc, then getting 3 very different answers from 3 different people in which all the answers contradicted the manual.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Registered

Whippled Charged(Dustin) is on the board, always has info and a solution, he runs Whipple as a "1st rate company"

bsag(Brett) is a distributor for Vortech.

ShanghiedAgain(Frank) used to have your exact boat with a Procharger

Anyone of this people will have some good info for you, do a search for their name and them PM them or email them.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:27 PM
Registered

Vortech, call me. Brett Dean 410-463-1822