Bilge Pump Alternatives - Rule >

Bilge Pump Alternatives - Rule

Notices

Bilge Pump Alternatives - Rule

Old 12-07-2019, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 481 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Bilge Pump Alternatives - Rule

Does anyone have a good rugged alternative to the Rule bottom mount bilge pumps. These are the big white ones with the clip in red plastic base that gets screwed to the bottom of the hull in the bilge.

I keep breaking the little red ears off the pumps and have to replace once a season.

Anyone have a better quality mounted pump they like?
Old 12-07-2019, 11:07 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry I don't have a better pic but this has worked really well. There is a flat plate on bottom that the red plastic base screws to. There is a removable tab on top that holds the pump in place even if the tabs were to break. Because the red base is level and securely mounted I've never had a tab break.

Last edited by bck; 12-07-2019 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hblair (05-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

I had that happen, replaced the tabs with zip ties.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. BCK - that looks like a nice setup. Cig has a flat board glassed in which would be just below the alternator on stbd engine each side of the center stringer.

pump just clicks into the tabs, must get jostled around, pop out, then bounces around on top of the tabs, snaps them off, then eventually if you're super lucky it ends up breaking the pump housing so you get to replace it all!!!

Super fun, remove half the front of the engine, stand on your head, and install a new one. I'm kind of sick of doing that. May do the zip tie trick, feel stupid for not doing that one already, Thanks ROB!!!!

Old 12-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 178 Likes on 115 Posts

This is what came in my Formulas. It mounts up high, out of the bilge floor. I can pull about 4-6' of head, can run dry and is self priming.
The only thing that goes into the bottom of the bilge is a 3/4 hose with a grate. Not cheap but fixes the problem.
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-07-2019, 11:57 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Since these came out I have been installing them. Prob have done 40 to date. You mount them at all different angles and depths because it can rotate 360 degrees for easier installs and very easy hose installs. Very low profile and 900 GPH as well. Easy to remove pull out cartridge as its on the back section.

Last edited by BUP; 12-08-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I installed a Super Sub bilge pump by Whale as a back up. In my 30' Scarab the primary bilge mounting pad is at the front of the bilge and there can be up to 5 inches of water sitting in the back of the boat that the primary pump cant get. I mounted the Super Sub on a stainless flat stock and screwed it to the transom so I could pull it out if it needs maintenance.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Registered

Brilliant!! Any clogs or stoppage from debris being back there? Cigs have that problem too, the drains are up off the floor and it can never fully drain without a shop vac. I may install something like that this year. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,462 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Thanks guys. BCK - that looks like a nice setup. Cig has a flat board glassed in which would be just below the alternator on stbd engine each side of the center stringer.

pump just clicks into the tabs, must get jostled around, pop out, then bounces around on top of the tabs, snaps them off, then eventually if you're super lucky it ends up breaking the pump housing so you get to replace it all!!!

Super fun, remove half the front of the engine, stand on your head, and install a new one. I'm kind of sick of doing that. May do the zip tie trick, feel stupid for not doing that one already, Thanks ROB!!!!
Mine do the same thing, sick of replacing them. I have to pull both headers to replace!!!!
Old 12-13-2019, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I tried something totally new and it works. Self priming Diaphram pump mounted on deck next to engine with 3/8" flange fittings. Suction side is a hose with end plugged with a heavy bolt (helps hold it on the bilge bottom) and many holes drilled thru it and wrapped in scotch brite pads and placed in bottom of bilge. Output side goes over the side of course. Works well, never plugs, and sucks water down to almost nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.