Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Outdrive Alignment >

Outdrive Alignment

Notices

Outdrive Alignment

Old 01-06-2020, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Good info, not my boat, but the guy which owns it also replaced both couplers during rebuild, so hope they are true
Old 01-06-2020, 07:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Merc has special requirements to install the couplers. Not many even know about that info so prob a good guess for the possible issue as that install was not done properly.

Also the rear mounting depending on inner transom plate will or will NOT use the spring washers and those procedures are required. I have posted that info plenty of times up here and the related Merc material all about it as well.

Last edited by BUP; 01-06-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks everyone! (boat owner)
When I dropped the engines in, and aligned them, the rod went in/out fairly smooth. After I brought the boat home from my friend's garage, (my drives were at home) I checked the alignment again and it felt off.
I've only got a few mm of up/down in the front of the engine as you can tell from the mount design.

I like F2-Speedy's suggestion to align the rear. I will give that a try tonight. I've not yet tried this at all.
I will then disable spark and crank the engine w/the tool in place to make sure it spins in place.

The attaching hardware that was removed was replaced with new, but in exactly the same setup on the rear mounts.
New fiber washers and springs. Everything else was reused.

Since both engines were new I had to install a drive coupler on both.
I did my best to make sure they were centered and used a star pattern to tighten the bolts.

I reused the existing rear mounts/flywheel cover as there was nothing wrong w/them.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
loosen the bellhousing bolts and tap your alignment bar with a rubber hammer side to side and up and down to align the rear of the engine to the bearing
That is a good idea.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

Did you install new gimbal bearings too? Do that while everything is a apart as well. And they will be a shade tighter than what came out as well.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:39 AM
Registered

Yes, the Gimbal bearings are new, OEM sealed. Thanks! I will give a go tonight.
On the Port side I get grease marks on the bottom of the tool.
On the Starboard I get grease marks all the way around, but its very hard to install/remove.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:05 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

you have to align your gimbal bearing as well. But if engine alignment and or coupler alignment is off then its moot anyways.

Your engine coupler INSTALL is NOT how its done. That can get you close at times and off at other times. Like I said there is special procedures that have to be done to get the coupler installed correctly. Prob have people here thinking I do not know what I am talking but actually that's not the case at all. I do not post that way. Just saying

Also who installed the flywheels ?? was flywheel runout checked after the install ? was the back side of the flywheel very clean before it was installed and the engine flywheel mounting surface ?

Even if the flywheels were not installed as they came on the engines - flywheel run out needed to be checked. Was the flywheel bolts torqued to spec or checked ?

if all the back end was done correctly - you align the engine from the front - most installs from a bracket installed at the top of the T stat housing and then adjust the front motor mount positions.

turn over engine and watch the alignment tool spin - how much out of round is the tool when spinning ?

Last edited by BUP; 01-07-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:34 AM
Registered

The engines came with new flywheels already attached. I ordered new to simplify the swap and really why not at $100?
I can only assume that michigan motorz installed them correctly.

The factory service manual has no mention of a "procedure" to install the drive coupler...?
What are you suggesting?

I need a second person to do the spin test, I plan to do that tonight.

Last night I loosened all 8 bolts for each engine, and using the alignment tool, tapped it in all directions w/a small rubber hammer. Then tightened the rear 2 to the 37 ft lbs the manual says.

After that, it slides much smoother. I then setup my rig for adjusting the up/down from the front of the engine as well. Working alone last night I had to climb the ladder, adjust the engine, then retest, and repeat a bunch of times. It slides pretty smooth, but I think I can do better. My new setup allows for a much finer up/down adjustment of the engine. In reality, given the bolt hole sizes, it can only go up/down the smallest bit...

Hopefully tonight w/some help I can have the other person adjust the engine, while I test it. It already slides much easier than before. I also phoned a mobile Merc. mechanic who hopefully can come by. I really want his in person opinion on if I have them correct. If I can't get them to the level I want, I may just haul the boat to a place and have them do it. I lost a coupler 2 seasons ago and don't want to do that again. (20 year old part, from factory). Maybe I'm just being paranoid? You really can't tell how much force it should take from a youtube video... Maybe I have it good enough?
Even if I get it as good as it can be, given how bolts work, won't the bolts just pull it to the centers of holes anyway? most of the washers are now concave. So let's say I get it aligned very well, on the chain fall, and now I lock down those 6 5/8" bolts... won't they just end up centering it anyway?

Here is the whole saga: Winter Work

Thanks!

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 01-08-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

I install the drive then tighten the transom bolts
Old 01-08-2020, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
I install the drive then tighten the transom bolts
I left the alignment tool in while locking down the transom ones. hopefully that had a similar effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.