Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Prop Location, X Dimension >

Prop Location, X Dimension

Notices

Prop Location, X Dimension

Old 02-21-2020, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much of a difference wold you expect to see out of a 2in spacer or 2 in drop? What does it do better being deeper?
Old 02-22-2020, 01:14 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by tbev
How much of a difference wold you expect to see out of a 2in spacer or 2 in drop? What does it do better being deeper?
It will carry the bow better, get on plane faster, be more responsive to trim and the prop will have more grip and less chance of blowing out.
You could always leave the engine as it sits and then test and add a spacer later if needed.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thansk guys, I like that idea, I'll probably see how a spacer changes things. This boat has a real deep V and it's heavy, it handles nasty water really well. Seems like it's always a 3ft chop minimum whenever I''m out but I would like to be able to run at 35 if the conditions allow for it.

thanks again!
Old 02-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

I don't recall the exact x dim however way back in early 90's both my dad and I both had 24' challengers. They had like 22 1/2 keel bottom and kind of a slippery hull however the handling and all around difference between the two were quite different. I'd like to say mine was 7" below and his was 6" as I'm almost sure. My boat liked trim and would not porous unless way over trimmed at cruising speeds. Sr's didn't like much trim and would porous with little trim at cruising and didn't like much trim even at wot. Both bravo one's.

In a nutshell we both agreed my x was better of the two all the way around. My good friend Sean Bowers and his Dad at the plant in cedar springs at the rigging shop were experimenting ultimately attempting to find the ideal x dim without really consulting with buyer. Didn't really matter as we both really enjoyed the boats very much and were a solid 70 mph with a stock 454 mag and easy 80 plus with a revved up one.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Meant to add back then we didn't know much of or even if spacers were available.