Exhausting Fuel Vapors from Bilge >

Exhausting Fuel Vapors from Bilge

Notices

Exhausting Fuel Vapors from Bilge

Old 03-14-2020, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Exhausting Fuel Vapors from Bilge

I'm in the process of repairing two fuel leaks, one known at the pick up elbow (on rear of tank) for one of the engines. Another is suspected in either the fuel filler hose and/or vent hose. There is zero liquid fuel in the bilge.

The boat has a single bilge which ultimately drains via the transom drain plug. There are 3 cabin drain grates (to the bilge); all of which are allowing fuel vapors to enter the cabin. Both fuel tank inspection covers in the cockpit also expel fuel vapors into the cockpit.

Once all issues are repaired, how can I accelerate fume removal?

I was thinking a box fan laying flat on top of one of the cockpit inspection covers which in theory would force the vapors out.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Keith
Old 03-15-2020, 02:02 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

Check the fuel fill neck clamps. I had fuel vapors in the cabin of my Pantera and it ended up that the clamps on the filler neck were loose and years of vibration had made the hose get looser over time.

I would just stick a fan in the cabin doorway and suck the air out cabin. Maybe try sealing up the area with plastic taped around the cabin doorway. Or lay the box fan top of an open cabin hatch and close the cabin door.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

So long as the tank isn't leaking, fans and time. The warmer it is the faster the fumes should evaporate
Old 03-15-2020, 09:54 AM
Registered

Thanks guys! I'll try the fans approach and report back. Trying to get on the water asap as this weekend was already canceled due to the fume issue.

Griff I'm replacing both the filler and vent hoses as I'm hearing a drip in the area where they run from the tank to the gunnel. When filling the boat last weekend fuel poured out of the the fill and vent so they are probably holding fluid and if there's a perforation etc. I'm sure they'd be leaking as a result. They're probably originals from 1996 :<., obviously another good reason.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 811 Likes on 380 Posts

Are there any risks with running electric devices around fuel vapors...guessing fans use brushless motors?
Old 03-15-2020, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

I wouldn't start one up in an enclosed place IF the fumes where high. Would start it up away then point it toward area and let it blow. Once its been blowing a while could then move to other areas if needed
Old 03-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

The first thing I would do is FIND the cause. Put about 5lbs of air pressure into the system.
I would put air in through the vent hose with the fuel fill cap on. Do it in very well ventilated area.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 495 Likes on 271 Posts

A very good point to make here is its highly recommended to change fuel fill hose and vent every 10 years there is a date on the fill hose and after 15 years most start cracking and can crack and leak it has lead to many kabooms so please ck your hose and update
Old 03-17-2020, 07:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boostbros
A very good point to make here is its highly recommended to change fuel fill hose and vent every 10 years there is a date on the fill hose and after 15 years most start cracking and can crack and leak it has lead to many kabooms so please ck your hose and update
Hoses are on the way. Pressure built in the tank as the vent hose filled with fuel upon the last fill up and vapor/fuel pushed out of the pickup fittings. That's fixed and a fan in the forward inspector cover blowing air/fumes from the bilge out of the rear inspection cover has helped dramatically. Will do so again when the hoses are replaced and report back.