Engine Compression and Leak down test >

Engine Compression and Leak down test

Notices

Engine Compression and Leak down test

Old 03-16-2020, 08:48 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

here is an example of exactly what Im talking about. Scroll thru the engines pics and check out the access. No way a guy on a 2 to 6 hour inspection is getting all 16 cyc leaked down and compression tested/ NO WAY. And to do all that for under a grand in cost. Not going to happen with zero access.

Make sure everyone looks at the engine pics very closely. Keep in mind the exhaust manifolds even take up more room side by side than the risers in the pics.The exhaust manifolds are wider than the risers is my point making ZERO access. I know cause I work on 2 to 4 -- 496 s per week during the whole boating season

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2011...2-ssr-6884653/

Last edited by BUP; 03-16-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good information. I will be asking these questions to the shop performing the inspection. I really appreciate the input.
thank you..
Old 03-17-2020, 12:44 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by dman2020
The owner is allowing me to choose. But it's over 500 miles away so I'm not familiar with any shops and have reservations on what to ask for as per documenting.
Thank you
If you posted some info about the location, then you may get some recommendations.

How many hours on the engines?? and get the increments of how many hours at each rpm range.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The meters say like 522 and 520. Haven’t seen a engine hour scan read out.

the shop is David Wade Marine.
Baton Rouge Louisiana.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 1,462 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
here is an example of exactly what Im talking about. Scroll thru the engines pics and check out the access. No way a guy on a 2 to 6 hour inspection is getting all 16 cyc leaked down and compression tested/ NO WAY. And to do all that for under a grand in cost. Not going to happen with zero access.

Make sure everyone looks at the engine pics very closely. Keep in mind the exhaust manifolds even take up more room side by side than the risers in the pics.The exhaust manifolds are wider than the risers is my point making ZERO access. I know cause I work on 2 to 4 -- 496 s per week during the whole boating season

Very good point, I know a mechanic that will do all of that but most are shocked when the quote comes in at 2-3K min depending on travel. If its travel he charges for room/ expenses. Gets expensive fast but so does a motor rebuild.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 980 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP

jeez, how do you even change spark plugs on that?
Old 03-17-2020, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Salt is more an issue than the block.