Engine Compression and Leak down test >

Engine Compression and Leak down test

Notices

Engine Compression and Leak down test

Old 03-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Compression and Leak down test

I'm purchasing a used 2008 Sunsation Dominator. The sale is contingent on engine hours scan, engine leak down test and engine compression test twin 496 HO's. So, what documentation should I be requesting for the tests completed?
Photos of actual numbers etc.. Any particular questions to ask. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2020, 10:20 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

if its twin engines I doubt every cylinder will get done per those tests. But you will be told it was. In the auto world they do not even do that form testing anymore. Everything today is looked at with waveform / scope testing among other forms of testing.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

I would only use a mechanic that you choose to do the test and not one that the seller chooses.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:45 PM
Registered

Thank you
Old 03-16-2020, 12:47 PM
Registered

The owner is allowing me to choose. But it's over 500 miles away so I'm not familiar with any shops and have reservations on what to ask for as per documenting.
Thank you
Old 03-16-2020, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I had a highly recommended mechanic run a compression test on a boat I bought. I found out a year later he lied. I ended up having to do a complete rebuild because the engine sat so long that the cylinders rusted so bad the rings didn't touch a good part of the cylinder. Good thing I bought it cheap. If you have someone do it for you at the location, check it when you get it home, to verify.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by dman2020
I'm purchasing a used 2008 Sunsation Dominator. The sale is contingent on engine hours scan, engine leak down test and engine compression test twin 496 HO's. So, what documentation should I be requesting for the tests completed?
Photos of actual numbers etc.. Any particular questions to ask. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
if I was in your shoes I would be there and look at every spark plug that was removed also I would verify every reading but keep in mind that you could have great compression say like 160 pounds in every cylinder and and at the same time have high cylinder leakage on a leak down test so if you have 160 compression in the bore and your cylinder leakage is over Say 22 percent that motor could be tired
also make sure you water test it and make damn well sure both engines run in manufacturing specifications at wide open throttle
also there are several weak links on those engines such as manifolds and cool fuel 3 units
my recommendation is to have someone that knows what they are doing give you a mechanical survey on the power plants
also check the transoms for play in the steering pins also upper seal leaking into the bilge and lastly bravoitis and mercathode efficiency
don’t forget to also have the drives surveyed for contaminated gear oil and bent prop shafts also check the carriers for corrosion your spending a lot of money and it’s your investment so protect yourself
Old 03-16-2020, 04:12 PM
Registered

activator, thank you for the information greatly appreciated!
Old 03-16-2020, 04:17 PM
Registered

I have went and test driven the boat and it ran well at WOT hit the Max RPM and 82 mph. It is very evident the boat has been well maintained by the condition of this 2008 boat. But I agree need to have the powerplant surveyed. Thanks again for all the input!
Old 03-16-2020, 06:56 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I had a highly recommended mechanic run a compression test on a boat I bought. I found out a year later he lied. I ended up having to do a complete rebuild because the engine sat so long that the cylinders rusted so bad the rings didn't touch a good part of the cylinder. Good thing I bought it cheap. If you have someone do it for you at the location, check it when you get it home, to verify.

Most will lie about doing all 16 cyc. especially in boat that is not even 102 inch beam with big blocks. And 496 s at that., Even worse yet for room / access to anything.. When I do all of that for testing, I tell the owner and BUYER it will need new risrer gaskets and manifold gaskets min plus the R& R labor as well. Someone has to pay for all that work because 95 percent of the time you are not getting leak down tools and a compression gauge in the inner engine sides. So with that said the exhaust has to come off and that raises the price of the pre purchase inspection. So with that said if your inspection report does not have charges and or states for any of that - GUESS what more times than not all 16 cyc did not get tested. trust me on that one..

Last edited by BUP; 03-16-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.