Where to put Oil TEMP Sender >

Where to put Oil TEMP Sender

Notices

Where to put Oil TEMP Sender

Old 04-23-2020, 10:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks!! I'm also going to replace my thermostat when it goes back in...I feel like it might be sticking as I have too LOW of oil temps instead of the usual too high. I think maybe sender location and a possible stuck thermostat might have been my issues....I hope haha
Old 04-23-2020, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 178 Likes on 115 Posts

I bought a used thermo/filter head here on OSO. I opted to replace the thermostat/spring and O-ring before install, good thing, the guy sold it to me WITHOUT A T-STAT AND SPRING, no warning from seller (thank you). Hardin Marine has the parts for that, just tell them you need the one with the shoulder, it is the same one they use in their oil systems.
Where is your temp reading from now?
Old 04-23-2020, 10:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Perfect thanks!

I was pulling it right above the filter pad on the side of the block...temp gauge starts at 140 and it never moved even running wide open last year
Old 04-23-2020, 11:00 AM
Registered

Seems something wrong there, The oil should be warmer than the water. Your location is post cooler but still. Sure you have the correct temp sender in it? Oil should be in low 200's when running warmed up. I might buy another sender and replace, if the same wire for 2 like I was stating earlier.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Perfect thanks!

I was pulling it right above the filter pad on the side of the block...temp gauge starts at 140 and it never moved even running wide open last year
Sounds like its in same location as the oil pressure sender. If this is the case the there is cooling water in the block and that is a small passage, so the block is water is cooling the sensor and transferring heat

Post a pic of location
Old 04-23-2020, 11:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Its the same location as his first pic...where the allen head is above the filter...I have all new autometer gauges and I have the sensor they recommend..The water temp takes the same sender and it works fine..swapped sensors with one another to make sure I didn't get a bum sender and had the same results...I plan on doing the thermostat and also warming up the sender with hot water or a lighter or something and make sure the gauge moves...I did ground out the sender wire and the gauge pegged as it should so I know the wire and gauge work as they should
Old 04-23-2020, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 374 Posts

OK, that is the normal oil pressure port, and IMO the block could be heat sinking some of the heat away from sensor
Old 04-23-2020, 12:23 PM
Registered

Three things come to mind.
1) Could the thread sealer/tape you used on the sensor be causing a "no ground" condition to the block?
2) are you using any type of splitter with the temp sender? A tee or something? If so it will not work, the temp probe needs to be in flowing oil, not stagnant, that is OK for the pressure or warning but not for the temp sender.
3) When you relocate the sensor to the oil filter/t-stat housing if you did like I did and mounted it to the transom then you will need to add a ground wire from the filter block to the motor/battery.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I'll answer them with the numbers for ease lol

1. I thought of that first so when I did the ground check I pulled the wire and touched it to the body of the sender which tells me I and seeing ground through the thread sealer

2. I initially used a tee at that port and saw a thread on here saying the same thing as you just did so I moved oil pressure up to the back of the block right in front of the bell housing and installed the temp sender directly into the block with no tee.

3. Mine is actually mounted to the back of the port side head....I will still for sure check for ground there once its all up and running again.

I'm thinking that like alldodge said I may be running into a low flow/heat exchanger effect with the block or the thermostat is simply bad. Regardless I plan to try and remedy both before taking it out which by the way things look here in Michigan could be like October hahaha

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 04-23-2020, 12:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

You know another thing to add here...I am currently putting a new motor in it and other than size everything will be the same in regards to sensor hook up and whatnot...that being said...the pan is currently off the motor waiting for install...is the "ideal" spot in the pan? I could easily weld a bung in the pan or replace the drain plug with an adapter while its off or would the spot in the filter housing work just as good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.