Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Holley HP EFI conversion >

Holley HP EFI conversion

Notices

Holley HP EFI conversion

Old 01-17-2021, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,306 Likes on 636 Posts

Figured out the issues why it was running rich. I put the new tune in and it was better. Not good by any means. Only had to hold throttle open 1/8 throttle to get it to run vs 1/4. Still would not idle. When it did fire earlier I had all of the throttle ports open not plugged off. I removed the tape and plugs from the TB and rolled it over. Boom! Fired and idle decent. This got me thinking their was a problem with the IAC. I pulled the IAC and it was out as far as it could be blocking the port. (starving it for air) I started the engine with it out and the IAC retracted. I put my finger over the port and it extended. It was working backwards. The IAC extended so far that it blew the plunger off of the motor. I did some Google research and Holley did what Holley does. Holley uses a GM LSx IAC but pins it out to a Chrysler wire harness. Pin A and C need to be switched in the harness plug. I swapped the pins around, blocked all the ports and installed the IAC. It fires right up and purrs like my old Holley carbureted HI-6M setups that I just replaced.

The headers clear the coils pretty good and the wires run perfectly between the pipes. It's a busy looking setup.

Smitty!! We are close. Let me know when you're ready!

Last edited by Rookie; 01-17-2021 at 09:16 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rookie:
abones (01-17-2021), articfriends (01-19-2021), Gimme Fuel (01-18-2021), sutphen 30 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice catch!!
Engines and set up look awesome, coil/plug is going to be so nice.

The following users liked this post:
Rookie (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Figured out the issues why it was running rich. I put the new tune in and it was better. Not good by any means. Only had to hold throttle open 1/8 throttle to get it to run vs 1/4. Still would not idle. When it did fire earlier I had all of the throttle ports open not plugged off. I removed the tape and plugs from the TB and rolled it over. Boom! Fired and idle decent. This got me thinking their was a problem with the IAC. I pulled the IAC and it was out as far as it could be blocking the port. (starving it for air) I started the engine with it out and the IAC retracted. I put my finger over the port and it extended. It was working backwards. The IAC extended so far that it blew the plunger off of the motor. I did some Google research and Holley did what Holley does. Holley uses a GM LSx IAC but pins it out to a Chrysler wire harness. Pin A and C need to be switched in the harness plug. I swapped the pins around, blocked all the ports and installed the IAC. It fires right up and purrs like my old Holley carbureted HI-6M setups that I just replaced.

The headers clear the coils pretty good and the wires run perfectly between the pipes. It's a busy looking setup.

Smitty!! We are close. Let me know when you're ready!

Yes I ran into that issue on my 548 with Holley EFI. Strange they wire it for Chrysler IAC's, especially on a BBC harness haha. Easy fix but frustrating to diagnose!
The following users liked this post:
Rookie (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Yes I ran into that issue on my 548 with Holley EFI. Strange they wire it for Chrysler IAC's, especially on a BBC harness haha. Easy fix but frustrating to diagnose!
I was quite fortunate that I spent less than an hour figuring it out. If I would have had everything properly together and tried to fire it and the poor running scenario happened, I would still be baffled and would never have looked at the IAC. By it lighting off the other day on it's own was a blessing. I had a good scenario to work from.

They even pin their LS harness to the Chrysler pinout. They should leave those 2 pins A & C floating and the end user configures it. But, I guess they can sell more $90 IAC motors.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rookie:
articfriends (01-21-2021), Gimme Fuel (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 01:45 PM
Registered

What main harness do you have ? Is it related to the LSx harnesses only ?
I never had a problem with Terminator throttle Bodies (plug and play) but now with the whipples I have a separate IACs so I`m wondering if it`s going to be an issue.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I never had a problem with Terminator throttle Bodies (plug and play) but now with the whipples I have a separate IACs so I`m wondering if it`s going to be an issue.
all the holley EFI stuff uses the Chrysler iac. So if you have the holley or Chrysler iac your fine if you have the gm factory iac you need to swap the 2 pins.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:31 PM
Registered

558-504 (104 main harness) Like stated earlier if you keep with Holley or Chrysler IAC's you should be fine. I only used the LS IAC because that is what the throttle body said to use. It appears that the Chrysler IAC might also work on my TB. The holes look the same distance apart.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:18 PM
Registered

My new IACS are GM, so it looks like switch B&D?

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 01-18-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

a and c
Old 01-18-2021, 10:48 PM
Registered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.