Notices

Holley HP EFI conversion

Old 08-25-2021, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Woah man... sounds like some pretty heavy duty smack
LOL

Like him or not the one thing is you know where you stand with ICDEDPPL.

No sugar coating here,
Old 08-27-2021, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Kaama Mark, I have the tune Wesseldyke made for Alex Pratts outerlimits engines. Whats interesting, is in the reciepts, he charged a hefty amount for "tuning" or "building base tune" ....however the engines ran like crap. These were 614ci with 8.3L whipples. Alex Pratt boasted about how great the OL was gonna run after Wesseldyke finished the engines. Then when they were finished, the boat was immediately sold and went to the east coast. Got used one summer out there, and my friend out of Chicago area bought it. Not surprised the kid from michigan sold it as soon as it was done, or the east coast guy. Its all fun and games having a 52SL dik swinger efi boat until it stalls out every time you try pulling into a slip or raft off and you look like a jerk.

I went down to the marina for the maiden voyage. Engines were hard to get started, needed to open throttles way up to get it to fire off. Once running and warmed up, put them in gear and they instantly puked. Every time. Finally icdedppl and i downloaded the tunes to take a look. What a joke. Fueling was way off , injector inputs wrong, spark map was basically locked timing across board. Supposedly Wesco says he never got to "finish" tuning them. Last I checked, it doesnt take any longer to enter the proper parameters then wrong ones. The engines were dynoed before going in the boat. Would that not be the time to build a timing map for a boosted engine? On the dyno???!!!

Who builds a supposed 1100-1200hp forced induction efi offshore engine, and rigs them with "aeromotive A1000" pumps? I told my friend on his next ride, to keep an eye on fuel psi, because i doubt those pumps will keep up. Sure enough he went out for a wot run, and i viewed the datalog after. Fuel psi dropped to 36psi at high rpms. Maybe he thought the mechanical pumps he plumbed inline would help.

Anyhow, enough of that. Rookie , you did a nice job. Great thread. Glad to see you work with Steve Smitty to get them dialed in. Smitty is as sharp as they come!

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 08-27-2021 at 05:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MILD THUNDER:
Gimme Fuel (08-30-2021), SB (08-31-2021), TomZ (08-27-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 297 Likes on 105 Posts

Cool project! Smitty is a good dude!

There are multiple people not impressed with Dave W who do not post on any social media, I know too many stories to post in this thread, and if someone does dare to call him out on truth, with facts, he threatens to take their head off with a baseball bat........real professional.

The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Kaama Mark, I have the tune Wesseldyke made for Alex Pratts outerlimits engines. Whats interesting, is in the reciepts, he charged a hefty amount for "tuning" or "building base tune" ....however the engines ran like crap. These were 614ci with 8.3L whipples. Alex Pratt boasted about how great the OL was gonna run after Wesseldyke finished the engines. Then when they were finished, the boat was immediately sold and went to the east coast. Got used one summer out there, and my friend out of Chicago area bought it. Not surprised the kid from michigan sold it as soon as it was done, or the east coast guy. Its all fun and games having a 52SL dik swinger efi boat until it stalls out every time you try pulling into a slip or raft off and you look like a jerk.

I went down to the marina for the maiden voyage. Engines were hard to get started, needed to open throttles way up to get it to fire off. Once running and warmed up, put them in gear and they instantly puked. Every time. Finally icdedppl and i downloaded the tunes to take a look. What a joke. Fueling was way off , injector inputs wrong, spark map was basically locked timing across board. Supposedly Wesco says he never got to "finish" tuning them. Last I checked, it doesnt take any longer to enter the proper parameters then wrong ones. The engines were dynoed before going in the boat. Would that not be the time to build a timing map for a boosted engine? On the dyno???!!!

Who builds a supposed 1100-1200hp forced induction efi offshore engine, and rigs them with "aeromotive A1000" pumps? I told my friend on his next ride, to keep an eye on fuel psi, because i doubt those pumps will keep up. Sure enough he went out for a wot run, and i viewed the datalog after. Fuel psi dropped to 36psi at high rpms. Maybe he thought the mechanical pumps he plumbed inline would help.

Anyhow, enough of that. Rookie , you did a nice job. Great thread. Glad to see you work with Steve Smitty to get them dialed in. Smitty is as sharp as they come!

Joe, I rarely see you on here anymore or making any posts----I don't come on here much anymore-----Anyway---So, did you and ICDPPL fix it?
Old 08-29-2021, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Joe, I rarely see you on here anymore or making any posts----I don't come on here much anymore-----Anyway---So, did you and ICDPPL fix it?
Kaama, I sold my boat two summers ago. So i been doing other things.

As far as that boat, it's idling in and out of gear and running pretty good all summer. After some tuning it was much better at the docks. Owner replaced the A1000 pumps with eliminator pumps. Havent heard if that solved the fuel psi drop yet. Im assuming it has. Back when he first got it home, it was unusable. The stalling, hard starting, black plugs, etc. Icdedppl and I suggested he have a REAL tuner fine tune the boat. I am by no means an EFI expert, still learning myself. That being said, if i was a shop owner/builder, id never let a boat leave my shop/dyno "untuned". Then again, some builders always have the "you got a bad tank of gas " excuse when it blows up. Ran into a few wesco customers over the years who greneded their engines. It was always "you got bad gas" excuse. 👎

this winter the engines really need to come out and some rerigging. The dry sump tanks are leaking oil, alot of hokey plumbing needs to be redone. The engines have alot of good parts in them which is good.

One thing I didnt quite understand, was the dyno sheet wesco provided. It showed the engines starting out making around 5-6psi of boost at say 3500, then by 6000 it was making 10psi. I cant say ive even seen a boost curve like that on a whipple or roots. Procharger yes. So not sure what that was about. Id like to see him redyno them this winter.
The following users liked this post:
SB (08-31-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 4,864 Likes on 1,376 Posts

1200 HP engines that don`t have enough injector , -8AN fuel lines, electric fuel pump being fed by a mechanical, electric fuel pump by all the electronics in the back of the motor ( that sounds real safe.) etc etc could go on here .

and yes a tune that looks like 5 year old wrote it, but a huge bill for "tuning" and "base tune" thought it was around $1000 for that "tune"
and what the point of EFI when you make a timing table that`s basically a locked out distributer timing?

I guess me and Joe are getting our knees broken with a bat now.
Dudes a real winner, how is he still in business I do not know.

It`s fine Joey will make it right, get it done right too.
Kinda sucks when you buy $350K boat and you can`t make it off the dock without the engines dying every shift.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 08-30-2021 at 05:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
SB (08-31-2021), speicher lane (08-30-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Kinda sucks when you buy $350K boat and you can`t make it off the dock without the engines dying every shift.
That is why so many have moved to stock 4 stroke OB's. If you do not know how to work on it yourself or at least have a idea when its wrong the mega money you dump and still don't get a running boat burns you out.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,281 Likes on 622 Posts

Now that both systems are running on the engines I said that I would post my cost to go EFI. I bought the components over time when I saw deals and sold my used carb setups. HP ECU's were 30% below cost and other components. Quite a bit more than I expected. Normally I do not put boat costs into spreadsheet. (or look at receipts) I also consider this the cost of education. I have only tuned EFI a little bit on a Haltec system. I learned so much with this project and it was fun. I just bought another system for my 302 Fox Body build.

The following 6 users liked this post by Rookie:
AllDodge (03-20-2022), articfriends (03-20-2022), Gimme Fuel (03-21-2022), ICDEDPPL (08-19-2022), resurrected (08-19-2022), TomZ (03-20-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,281 Likes on 622 Posts

Another update. I got my digital dashes mocked up. I went from 15 rocker switches to 21 stainless momentary/latching switches. The the switches are just in a gray template that I 3D printed so I could get spacing and letting for laser cutting and etching. I'm going to flush mount the dashes from underneath. The dashes are 10"

The following 2 users liked this post by Rookie:
apache brave 28 (08-18-2022), Gimme Fuel (08-22-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 4,864 Likes on 1,376 Posts

What screens are those??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.