Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
ON-BOARD-DYNO Pictures >

ON-BOARD-DYNO Pictures

Notices

ON-BOARD-DYNO Pictures

Old 11-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I grew up in So. Calif. and Fresno was a small town of nothing. Today it is a real city and now I have reason to visit there and home. I have talked with them and bought a used box for display and some of these internal pieces. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by cobra marty
Digital gauges sure. But I wanted to have white on white to match most every one's gauges out there. The resolution on my gauges is to about 10. Digital would have resolution to 0.01!
I was not thinking so much of the look but of trying to split hairs. Reading those smaller changes is all. It looks great!!
Old 11-09-2002, 07:10 PM
Registered

Marc, Yes, sort-of there is an inductive coupling. It's wireless anyway between the shaft and the pick-up stator.

Yes, my next project/application is for a trans. like yours. I have yet to see a trans. What is the output shaft and flange like. Does the flange unbolt? Is there room between the trans housing and the backside of the flange? I looked at your site and the pictures are not clear. It would measure the TQ on the shaft/flange coming out of the trans. not quite engine/crank TQ but but would only be less the TQ requirement of the trans.

Oh yea, the calibration doesn't have to stop at 1000 TQ/HP. How about up to 10,000 TQ as in Top Fuel.

Marty.

Last edited by cobra marty; 11-09-2002 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:38 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marty;

This is one incredible idea you had. I am glad that it finally materialized. My hat's off to you. Good luck with this project and of course keep us posted.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pls keep us posted Mr zweitein.

eins=1,zwei=2 in german.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I understand the "mechanics" of this setup. I don't understand why you can't make it work for the long shaft on the Imco box.

If the pickup to the sensor is an inductive or wireless connection, then couldn't you do the same thing on the torsion shaft?

Maybe a braket or something that needs to be bonded in place thru the access plates in the side after assembly or something...

I'm still thinking that Imco boxes are my choice, but am reeeeally liking your dyno setup...
Old 11-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

VERY COOL

How do you know the "twist" amount of the drive shaft to get your start numbers?

Jon
Old 11-10-2002, 12:13 AM
Registered

The problem is assembly. The ROTOR piece which has the strain gauge housed in it needs to be bonded to the shaft. If this is done then the IMCO long shaft won't go thru the gimble and it's bearing. If it was bonded after assembly then the drive could not be removed and calibration would be too difficult.

Right now the assembly is bolted to a jig and an extension arm is attached with the shaft fixed in place, and a known amount of force is applied and the output is calibrated. The flange and shaft is very linear in how it distorts with TQ applied. 100 pounds hanging at 2' is 200 foot-pounds of TQ, etc.

Placed inside the ROTOR assembly is a magnet and a magnetic switch to count the RPM of the shaft which is also the engine rpm(this way no connection to the engine is needed) and then thru electronics the TQ reading is multiplied by 5252 and divided by rpm and HP is derived and outputed.

At first I was only going to measure the TQ and output it but everyone doesn't seem to understand TQ and allways want HP for some reason, so there it is. To me, TQ makes the world go around not HP, so to speak.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:31 AM
Registered

I wish I was at SEMA this last week. Next year.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marty:

Everything looks really good. Do you have it set up so you can store date to plot out onto a printer or computer ? I think it could be very valuable to see the whole tq & hp curve so you could see how it varies from the engine dyno. This could help the engine builder determine what components to use based on how the curves change in the actual boats they are being put into. Are you going to the PRI show in Indy ?

Doug

Quick Reply: ON-BOARD-DYNO Pictures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.