Stelling Boxes on my Formula 302 >

Stelling Boxes on my Formula 302

Notices

Stelling Boxes on my Formula 302

Old 11-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tredwell do you really think that much of a gain with Bravos? I know a couple people that changed (on different boats) and saw no gain. Did they set up wrong? I actually really like the no clunk easy shifting of the TRS drives. Are there any other advantages to stelling boxes besides speed like stability, or running less trim so you will fly flatter?

I have the extension brackets already but you did mention the trim lines, I had not thought of those, so as you say there is always something that you miss
Old 11-13-2002, 07:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill what was the problem with the boxes tha they have? for the TRS to Bravo swap? I will try and give ya a call later today

Jon
Old 11-14-2002, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all due respect, you will not gain 10 mph by simply swapping to Bravos. Assuming you use the same X dimension, the most you'll see is a couple of mph max.

I will say that if you ever do the conversion, you do have the luxury of moving the X up a bit. Formula was pretty conservative back then. I believe I saw a 1-3/4" raise on a 302 with trs's running Quad IV's that still didn't need to be feathered. You might want to ask Boilerdaddy to research this.

I know on Porters old 'Secret Formula' 302 SR1 race boat, they did alot of testing on various heights. When that boat was sitting behind the factory, I noticed multiple drive mounting marks on the transom.

Regarding the boxes, with the proper set up and a bit more power, they should add about 5 mph +/-. That's about what that dealer down south is seeing on the newer ones and they seem to equip quite a few of them with boxes. You might want to talk to them too.

I hope this helps. PS--When are we going to see some updates on your progress?