main trim line >

main trim line

Notices

main trim line

Old 07-19-2020, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default main trim line

ive got a 89 baja 226 sport it has a bravo 1. my problem is one of the 2 main trim lines in the engine area is leaking. the previous owner tried splicing the line with steel tube and hose clamps and it hasnt worked too well. do i have to remove the transom to replace it or is it something i can do quick?? if it requires dissasembly ill probably just rig it until winter when i can redo it right, im trying to get on the water for some of the season lol
ive done the shift cable, bellows, and gimble bearing so far so not really scared of more work
Old 07-20-2020, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

If you were to replace the entire line, the engine would need to be removed in order to get at where it goes through the transom, and even the transom assembly needed to be removed on mine. To get out on the water for the rest of the season you could try to get the hose repaired correctly; I would cut it where it leaked and either crimp on a hydraulic hose end or use a reusable AN hose end and just replace the remainder of the hose that goes to the trim pump.
I would get both hoses replaced in the winter, along with everything else back there like your swivel shaft seal, and sea water pump hose and water neck, cause if that stuff is all from 89, it's just waiting to go, and possibly sink you with it.
Of course, I understand that is a lot of money to pay someone to do if you can't do it yourself, but to me that's just an excuse to buy some cool new tools. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2020, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LakeHuronPower
If you were to replace the entire line, the engine would need to be removed in order to get at where it goes through the transom, and even the transom assembly needed to be removed on mine. To get out on the water for the rest of the season you could try to get the hose repaired correctly; I would cut it where it leaked and either crimp on a hydraulic hose end or use a reusable AN hose end and just replace the remainder of the hose that goes to the trim pump.
I would get both hoses replaced in the winter, along with everything else back there like your swivel shaft seal, and sea water pump hose and water neck, cause if that stuff is all from 89, it's just waiting to go, and possibly sink you with it.
Of course, I understand that is a lot of money to pay someone to do if you can't do it yourself, but to me that's just an excuse to buy some cool new tools. Good luck!

looks like you take off a 2 bolt plastic cover and 2 nuts hold on the threaded distribution block for the trim on the bottom of the gimble housing. both main lines are on it it un threaded super easy, little wire to fish up the nee line while pullin out the old and good to reassemble
Old 07-20-2020, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

what you said..
Old 07-21-2020, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKEMARLEY
looks like you take off a 2 bolt plastic cover and 2 nuts hold on the threaded distribution block for the trim on the bottom of the gimble housing. both main lines are on it it un threaded super easy, little wire to fish up the nee line while pullin out the old and good to reassemble
In my particular boat that isn't possible since the lines don't allow the block to come down far enough, maybe for you it will.