Sbc engine identification >

Sbc engine identification

Notices

Sbc engine identification

Old 07-22-2020, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sbc engine identification

I was wondering if anyone can help me with what I should tell mercruiser parts guys when looking for parts for this motor.
I gave them info off a tag that was glued to side of block near starter. The tag says quicksilver (brand they sell) with a date of 2003 and a part number 807447a12 and a serial number 9201101 and it’s definitely a sbc vortec with centerbolt valve covers. I pulled a valve cover and found has 906 heads,which are vortec and an 8 bolt edelbrock rpm intake.
i was only looking for starter which appears to be an offset flange mini,that I thought all vortec uses
keith
Old 07-23-2020, 08:48 AM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,306 Likes on 733 Posts

325 HP 325 HP Gen+ Quicksilver crate engine.

Hard to say for sure, but looking up Gen+ 350 crate engines from Mercruiser points me toward a 2000 Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI. The starter should be the same and usable on older models too so long as the engine uses a diagonal bolt pattern (large flywheel).

Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
325 HP 325 HP Gen+ Quicksilver crate engine.

Hard to say for sure, but looking up Gen+ 350 crate engines from Mercruiser points me toward a 2000 Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI. The starter should be the same and usable on older models too so long as the engine uses a diagonal bolt pattern (large flywheel).

Hope this helps.
thanks tom
the guys at west marine gave me a part number from me describing it and of course non of the three stores in driving distance had one in stock 😞 . The serreia brand from them is $195 . I ended up calling oreily auto parts with part number and they sold me their brand (Wilson) which is new made in China of course for $131 out the door. I will be pulling my old one apart and cleaning it up and stashing it in the boat for a just Incase
I had a mercruiser guy ask me for engine number for wet joint riser gaskets. I told him to let me look through what he had and found them. These boats get motors pulled in and out all the time so I understand for the most part.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:47 AM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,306 Likes on 733 Posts

Automotive starters are very dangerous when used on boats. The automotive starters do not have the proper flame and spark arrestors needed to prevent explosions caused by sinking fuel vapors.

If what you picked up was a marine starter, then you should be okay. If not, do not run it. Seriously.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Automotive starters are very dangerous when used on boats. The automotive starters do not have the proper flame and spark arrestors needed to prevent explosions caused by sinking fuel vapors.

If what you picked up was a marine starter, then you should be okay. If not, do not run it. Seriously.
Nope it’s marine starter with coast guard approval sticker and comes with new bolts and a square foam gasket.the girl that crossed it from the west marine number didn’t even know they stocked a powersports line lol
Old 07-23-2020, 10:06 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

The late model pg260’s for vehicles are sealed from gm and most if aftermarket, but, no coast guard sticker. Bunmer. Marine ones do of course. Some care, sone don’t. I do. I’ll take the decal. Lol.

Last edited by SB; 07-23-2020 at 10:14 PM.