Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2 stroke compression question >

2 stroke compression question

Notices

2 stroke compression question

Old 07-24-2020, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

That cylinder looks normal to me. If you can't catch your finger nail on the scratch it really isn't a problem.

Your low reading on the compression may be your gauge setup. A two cylinder 15hp motor has a small combustion volume and the added volume of the hose on your compression gauge may reducing your readings.
The following users liked this post:
PA.WOODCHUCK (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

Agreed on the scoring. That's not enough to hurt performance. I had a sled with a ring welded to the piston and would run fine over idle and still lift the skis high in the air, but the only way it would start was with a primer bottle. Compression testing on a two stroke is difficult to gauge by numbers, especially when they indicate the same. A leak down would provide more useful information. The 100:1 ratio would be to satisfy emissions even though you may prematurely wear out the rotating assembly, by going against the manufacturers recommendation of 100:1 and switching to 50:1 re jetting may be required because you will be leaning out the amount of fuel in each charge.
I don't know but the carbon pattern on the heads and piston looks strange to me
PA.WOODCHUCK (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 739 Likes on 380 Posts

I'd look at the reed valves.little 2 stroke engines don't like scoring.doesn't take to much to stick the rings.btdt
Old 07-24-2020, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

You should be seeing 115 - 130 psi.
I would run the cheapest TCW3 oil you can find at 50:1. Pennzoil at Autozone or Walmart is a good bargain.

Not sure why your compression is down unless your rings got too hot and lost tension.
Did you verify that the water pump was pumping properly when it was running poorly?
Might wanna double check yhe impeller.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
I have a 2004 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha. Bought it about 5 years ago and never had any issue. A couple of weeks ago I took it out on my inflatable. I was wot for a mile or so and went to an idle and shut it off. When I restarted it, it wasn't running right, down a little on power. When I got home I pulled the plugs and found both plugs fouled (never happened before).
Last week I changed the plugs and tried to use it. As soon as it tried to go 1/3-1/2 throttle I knew it was down on power. Put 4 new plugs in and would foul right away.
I thought it might have been the gas i mixed (100:1 with yamalube) but haven't been able to try it with fresh gas because of a torn seam on the inflatable.
The other day i did a compression test. Both cylinders were exactly 70psi. Does that seem low? It's 6.8:1 compression.
I pulled the head to look at the cylinders. Nothing jumped out to me but I'm not a 2 stroke guy.
head gasket junk. Sh0ws water steaming tge head clean. Also you need to mix it at 50:1
Twin O/B Sonic (07-27-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
I have a 2004 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha. Bought it about 5 years ago and never had any issue. A couple of weeks ago I took it out on my inflatable. I was wot for a mile or so and went to an idle and shut it off. When I restarted it, it wasn't running right, down a little on power. When I got home I pulled the plugs and found both plugs fouled (never happened before).
Last week I changed the plugs and tried to use it. As soon as it tried to go 1/3-1/2 throttle I knew it was down on power. Put 4 new plugs in and would foul right away.
I thought it might have been the gas i mixed (100:1 with yamalube) but haven't been able to try it with fresh gas because of a torn seam on the inflatable.
The other day i did a compression test. Both cylinders were exactly 70psi. Does that seem low? It's 6.8:1 compression.
I pulled the head to look at the cylinders. Nothing jumped out to me but I'm not a 2 stroke guy.
head gasket junk. Sh0ws water steaming tge head clean. Also you need to mix it at 50:1

Old 07-24-2020, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 441 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
Those Score marks aren’t that bad for an two stroke, I would try Try a leak down at TDC before you start pulling pistons, better yet try running some ring free and check ur ignition it’s probably been low comps for a while and ur spark has gotten weak

what did the plugs look like, wet with fuel, black soot, ash, heavy oil?
Picture with 2 plugs is day that problem started. Picture with single plug has 3 minutes of run time. Changed both plugs twice and fouled right away. I have to find other plugs. Top cylinder was definitely worse than bottom.

I was thinking issue with spark as well? It does spark but how do I test if the coils are working correctly?
Old 07-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kvogt
That cylinder looks normal to me. If you can't catch your finger nail on the scratch it really isn't a problem.

Your low reading on the compression may be your gauge setup. A two cylinder 15hp motor has a small combustion volume and the added volume of the hose on your compression gauge may reducing your readings.
I can't catch the score marks with my finger nail.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
You should be seeing 115 - 130 psi.
I would run the cheapest TCW3 oil you can find at 50:1. Pennzoil at Autozone or Walmart is a good bargain.

Not sure why your compression is down unless your rings got too hot and lost tension.
Did you verify that the water pump was pumping properly when it was running poorly?
Might wanna double check yhe impeller.
The day and time it happened as I was wot I noticed the water wasn't spraying out the little water flow fitting on the side of the engine. That was the reason for me shutting it down. It is not uncommon for something to get stuck in the little hose/ fitting. When i removed the hose from the fitting it was pumping as it should. Blew out the fitting, reinstalled hose and all was good. Didn't run right after that. Water still flows through the engine when this happens.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by oconnor marine
I was wondering what those spots where on the head. I didn't see any leak on the hg.
The last engine I had had a leaking seal which was causing water to get inside the cylinder. I wonder if a seal/s are leaking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.