FUEL line hoses will not fit

Notices

FUEL line hoses will not fit

Old 11-12-2002, 10:55 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FUEL line hoses will not fit

I can not seem to get fuel line that is the same as my old fuel line. It is either to small or to large. At the engine side I was able to change the barb to make it fit better but at the tank I can not change things as the line out of the tank is permanent. So it fits loose. Is there anyone that has a HUGE selection of hose so that I can get a better fit? The problem now is that I get a lot of fuel smell especially when the tank is full or just after a fill up. Obviously this is not a good thing. I had no smell before I changed the lines. I also talked to MFB357 on this board and he is having the same problem.

Jon
Old 11-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Jon,

I am assuming you have access to the fittings on the tank! Is the pickup removable?? If it is, now is a good time to remove and inspect it to make sure that it is tight.
In the Velocity that I had the pickup tube actually threaded into a pipe bung and had loosened to the point of almost falling out! In my Scarab that I have now, the pickup is actually welded to the fitting.
Either way I would replace the anti-siphon barbed fitting with new 3/8" open barbed fittings as well as all new USCG approved fuel hose from tank to pump.
I think this will give you the best results.

Last edited by TomR; 11-13-2002 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:04 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 15,454 Likes on 3,989 Posts

JON, if you are going to change your pick-up spend a little cash and put stainless steel braid with AN fitting, # 6 line should work good.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:22 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Pete B good idea but I still would need to put a hose clamp at the tank. Unless you know something I dont The pipe comes out of the tank and bends 90 Degrees.

Jon
Old 11-15-2002, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Jon,
Is the barb right on the end of the pick up tube itself, or is the barbed fitting threaded into a fitting at the top of the tube??
Old 11-15-2002, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the smaller (tighter) diameter hose. Boil water on the stove. Put the boiling water into a thermos. Take thermos to boat and quickly imerse end of hose into hot water for 3 or so minutes. Hose should slide right on.

Hope this helps,

BT
Old 11-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to my local industrial hose MFG ie. aeroquip. and had custome lines, hoses, and fittings put on my boat because I don't want to have just exactly the problems you are having.
It is worth the mind at ease for the added expense of having "Them" make and install custom fit braided lines
Old 11-16-2002, 08:12 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I will try and get a picture tomarrow. The tube that comes out of the tank has no thread on it. Just a little buble at the end of the pipe that you push the hose over. The hose that I got to replace the old was to large. I am affraid that the smaller diameter even with the hot water treatment is not going to do it for me I am very set on getting this fixed this winter for obvious reasons. I am thinking that maybe I can go small hose and quickly change over to the new braided air equip stuff to the engines.

Jon